What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good beginner sundews

Getting info on CP seems to be pretty difficult, than, say, aquarium fish....as most of the sites I stumble on are either catalogs are include a small paragraph of info and "stats"(my pet peeve!).

I've been eyeing pgmy sundews, especially with the possibilty of getting some gemmae from another board member.

I've also been thinking about getting a capensis....since they are one of the larger species and are said to be easy.

You can't go wrong with a capensis... It is a strong plant, which often (always?! :p) come back from its roots after a shock (frost, heavy aphids attack, crown rot), and which is spreading very fast (1 plant after 1 year = a lot of seeds!). They is some varieties/forms, to make your growing corner a little more colorful: D.capensis 'alba', 'red', wide leaf, etc. Other simple to grow species would be spathulata, but it is smaller... for bigger plant, go for a binata, you won't be deceived! Have a shaded area? D. adelae is easy too, but need a little more humidity. They are all easy sundews to grow, and very rewarding.

About the pygmies, in my opinion, D. nitidula x occidentalis is the easiest pygmy of my collection, and it is not very picky about its growing conditions. So far, they are the strongest living pygmy I have !

Welcome to the forums!
Drosera capensis is a great starter plant. it is virtually indestructable!
ghostface.gif
Drosera adelae or Drosera spatulata are also great starters.
biggrin.gif

Caring for them is pretty simple; give them distilled water, lots of light (D. adelae likes shade), and high humidity. Thats pretty much it
biggrin.gif

lol yup, but we agree on most species, its a good sign ;)

I add my vote to the list! My advice is go with D. capensis. Of course, you won't be able to stop once you start. You do realize this I hope?

And you're right on that one Tamlin! I've started with only D.capensis and D.aliciae 7 years ago... and look at me now! How could I live without all these jewels!?
tounge.gif
Really addictive...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 01 2003,10:12)]I add my vote to the list!  My advice is go with  D. capensis.  Of course, you won't be able to stop once you start.  You do realize this I hope?
LOl about getting addicted......I remember about 2 years ago in the tropical fish hobby. Just get the kribs in the ten and that'll be all for me......

NOT!

Well, guys, guess what came home with me today?

It looks like a capensis, but I'll post a pic to be sure. It was just called "drosera". The most interesting thing is that the 2 others plants for sale were a couple cobra plants(I wonder how long those will live with their new owners?)and a single hybrid nep. The nep had a pitcher with red blotches, but I decided to pass it up.....for now.

mad.gif
NOW YOU GO BACK THERE AND GET THAT NEPENTHES NOW!!! THAT WAS A NEPENTHES MAXIMA HYBRID, HARD TO FIND!
mad.gif

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Like Spectabilis73 said, go back and get it. The addiction has just started. I started with a VFT and Purple Pitcher. I now have several Dews, Sarrs, Neps, VFTs, Pings, Cobra Lilly, and Utrics. I should be getting my Cephalotus follicularis next week.
biggrin.gif

Yup.

April 2003: No CPs.
Oct 31, 2003:
Cephalotus
Cephalotus
Cepahlotus 'Hummer's Giant' (cuttings, hurting)

Dioneae muscipula (VFTs)
Dente Cultivar
Red Dragon
Typical (2)

Drosera (Sundews)
D. nitidula x pulchella
D. scorpiodes
D. filiformis ssp. tracyi
D. dichotoma
D. spatulata (given to Carrie)
D. dielsiana (cutting too!)
D. alicia (cutting lives!)
D. adelae
D. venusta
D. rotundifolia

Heliamphora (Sundews)
H. heterodoxa x minor

Nepenthes (Highland)
N. alata "boschiana mimic"
N. alata luzon "speckled"
N. sanguinea
N. maxima
N. maxima
N. ventricosa "red"
N. lowii
N. truncata

Nepenthes (Lowland)
N. gracilis
N. raflesiana
N. albormaringata
N. ampularia "spotted"

Nepenthes (Hybrid)
N. alata x ventricosa
N. maxima x albomarginata
N. maxima x ventricosa
N. hirsuta x vetchii
N. ventricosa x bongso
N. ventricosa x ?? (seems like a ventricosa. Good.)
N. x "efflugent" Koto (mirabilis x thorelii)
N. x Ile de France [(mirabilis x thorelii) x (northiana x maxima)]
N. x Petra Giant [ventricosa x (talangensis x bongso)]
N. x Manny Herrera (miribalis x khasiana)
N. x trichocharpa (ampularia x gracilis)
N. x Judith Finn (spathulata x veitchii )
N. x Weigneri ((thorelii x maxima) x (rafflesiana x hirsuta)) or (x 'Balmy' Koto x x Intermedia)
N. x Wrigleyana [mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria)]
N. x Splendiana (kampotiana x maxima)
N. x Holland (unknown hybrid)
N. x 'home depot'
N. x Rokko (thorelii x maxima)

Pinguicula
P. laueana 'purple'
P. esseriana
P. primuliflora
P. moranensis

Sarracenia (American Pitcher)
S. rubra ssp. rubra
S. purpurea x flava (ornata)
S. x Judith Hindle
S. x "tarnok"
S. oreophila #2 Sand Mt.

Utricularia (Bladderworts)
U. bisquamata
U. lividia

Capslock

This plant came from Glubers.

Lookking at the website, they have listed only 2 species. D. rotundifolia and D. adelae.

That clinches the indentity.

Now to move it away from the window....

lol....I can't believe their are 3 Cp's in the house already!

While that might have made a perfectly good ending....here are some Q's!

Some of the older leaves don't have dew on them. Will these leaves produce dew under better conditions they are now getting?(not hidden away on a rack in Lowes).

Though Im going ot wait until the plant has established itself completely before tring, do leaf cuttings work for this sundew>

Back