What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. intermedia 'Cuba' dormancy?

It appears that some D. intermedia 'Cuba' form hibernacula. Have these plants gone dormant for you?

Some of my plants do this, others remain growing over the winter. I have always wondered about this. My source discontinued them in his collection based on this fact. If the seed came from me, I can only say that this is how it came named to me. I would be interested in hearing if other growers have had their plants form hibernacula, especially if they know the seed came independently from me. I hate a good mystery.

Mine haven't form an hibernacula yet... They are exposed to natural light, at a SW cool window (well, right now... We had snow last week!).

The growth slow down a bit and the leaves are smaller, and it is getting a 'lower' profile, but still no hibernacula... perhaps it still has to come... Or it won't! (hopefully!)

I wonder if this phenomenon is random (aka forming once in a while on a plant) or genetically induce (1 particular seedling do it every winter, another, never!) about D.intermeida 'Cuba'. In the second case, we could select the non-dormant plant and propagate it thought cutting and others vegetative way (asexual)...

I started a thread about my Fillaformas Red that began forming a classic hibernacula (I learned what that is from Tamlin) back in South Florida's hot August nights.  The transformation is now complete and it looks like a little green marble.  This does not make sense to me.  Just how screwed up is this poor little plant from north Florida, to try go dormant during the hottest part of the year?
Do I experiment and put it in the refrigerator?...Or just leave it alone and hope for the best?
rock.gif
rock.gif

Back