What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is D. rubripetala?

I have seen this name a couple of times. Not having been paying attention and "in the know" of every new description out there, I am curious as to what this is, was, what it looks like. Thanks.

Are you sure you don't mean Drosera rubrifolia? I have never heard of a rubripetala, but D. rubrafolia is a recently published Species Novae published by Paul Debbert.

http://yamadanouenn.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sc01462.jpg

This is the only photo currently on the web. It is a South African species, and as such Paul Debbert will have a hard argument to try to get species recognition for this plant. I believe the material is in TC now, and it is comercially available.

It's a remarkable plant from the horticultural aspect if not from a strictly taxonomic stance, and I hope one day to grow it no matter what the ICBN decides.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Nov. 03 2003,10:45)]Are you sure you don't mean Drosera rubrifolia?
Yes, I am sure. I saw it on Alan Lowerie's list. I just checked the WEB and it seems to be synonym for D. cistiflora. I just wanted more info, as the pauciflora/cistiflora complex hasn't been fully disected yet, taxonomically speaking.

CP Database has the following listing.

N: [Drosera rubripetala {Debbert}]
P: Mitt.Bot.Staatss.Muenchen 30:377 (1991)
T: W Cape, ZA, P.Debbert 129 (M)
S: =[Drosera cistiflora {L.}]

This (in my mind) also throughs into question what D. rubrifolia is; this looks like a very interesting plant, and superficially, looks like a green D. slackii (by looking at the shape of the leaves; also Rubrifolia = red leaves = color of a normal D. slackii
rock.gif
)

Sounds like Jan already made his decision on that one. It's pretty hard to publish new species out of South Africa. D. cistiflora sure shows a lot of variation so this isn't very surprising.

Back