User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What am I doing wrong with the seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Hi, I got some drosera seeds a while ago from some very nice people. Well I planted them in pots with a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite. On top I layered it with some chopped live sphag. moss. Then I sprinkled the seeds on top of the pots. Here's the thing where I think went wrong, Everyday I've been lightly misting the pots with some rain water...Well it's been two weeks now and I haven't seen any sprout yet...
    What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What species drosera are they? Some require stratification before planting. Some just take awhile before they sprout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe you washed the seeds away? highly unlikely unless your misting very hard or too much [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] . Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 weeks is not long enough for many Drosera species to germinate, particularly if the conditions are not ideal. Give them another few weeks before you start to worry.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop misting them daily, there is little benefit as most dont need this for germination and you are likely to bury the seed. Put the pots in a ziplock bag in warm temps and not too bright light and be patient. Seed may take months to germinate depending on the species.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Yay! The seeds finally germinated! I was about to throw the pot away to make room for other plants, but on my way to the trashcan I saw several little sprouts. They looked like little weeds at first so I was a little hesitent to keep the pots but I did anyway. That's a good thing because now the sprouts are actually the Drosera seeds and now they have their first little D.aliciae leaves. The long germination I think was probably due to their species. I don't think I'll be sowing any other seeds in Live Sphagnum because they overtake the seeds, thus causing problems. The only sprouts that I see were the ones that were on the peat. The other pot that I sowed in all choped sphagnum grew and I think engulfed the seeds now. Oh well, at least I learned from my mistakes... Is there still a way to save the seeds in the other pot?
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it, but DON'T ever give up on any sown pot of seeds for at least a year. Your choice of sphagnum wasn't a good idea, but there is a chance that something may come up. Drosera seeds aren't like garden veggie seeds: they often take a long time to finally germinate. I have had seed finally germinate after a year's wait.
    "Grow More, Share More"