Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaf cutting with capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sometimes had filamentous algae start to grow. It is easy to remove with a stainless steel screen sieve and fine forceps. I pour the contents through the screen, the algae stick to the screen and I pluck the plant parts off to replace in fresh clean water. Repeat if necessary.

No, I have never had any mold or fungus problems. Most of them are seriously inhibited in these conditions.

What part of the plant? -- I have not done this with roots or non-photosynthetic parts.

Place it into a glass of distilled water? -- Yes, but be sure to keep the water level up at all times.

Do you place the glass in a terrarium? -- No, I do not now, nor have I ever used terraria.

I grow under cool-white fluorescent lights. With this technique, as long as they are kept where the air temperatures are moderate they can be given full direct sunlight and this seems to enhance the process.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cchang,

Sorry to take so long to answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Do you ever get mold or fungal growth? How do you prevent that? My cutting samples are pretty small and they float to the top.
    Do you ever get mold or fungal growth?
    ----None that I notice.

How do you prevent that?
    ----I assume this technique creates the absence of a suitable environment for the little nasties.

My cutting samples are pretty small and they float to the top.
    ----Floating on the top can work just fine too.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To complete your list Joseph, I would add these one, which I have a lot of success with:

Drosera dielsiana
    Drosera intermedia
    Drosera tokaiensis
    Utricularia longifolia
    Various Utricularia species using flowers scapes (growth notice at the base of them)

But on my side, I only had poor results with D.aliciae unfortunatly... On my side, leaving the pot closed give me good results. I am not visiting my pot often, so I prefer this way, it avoid me to have to deal with total dryness and/or some particules getting in the water.

The only down side of this technique for me is that if you wait too long before repotting them, the plantlets take a while to harder and are pretty fragile, especially in the D. binata forms/hybrids cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pingman cool pic! You mean D.regia roots easily for you?! How do you introduce them to soil with this method?

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that D. regia are very reluctant to produce plantlets on their leaves, the few times it was successful were after a very long wait. Root cuttings seem much easier.

Fill a pot with media, poke a hole, stick it in. Put all into ziploc plastic bag and close to multiple fluorescent lights until plant is growing vigorously. Remove from bag gradually and not until it has its own root system.

An alternative is to put them in peat/sand mud until they are growing well (see photo). The pot in the tray is to permit watering without disturbing the media(mud):

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... that's a neat trick! I'll think I'll give that a try with some other Drosera seeds I got.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    The pot in the tray is to permit watering without disturbing the media(mud)
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm trying this. I have D. slackii and D. capensis now in a glass of water. I'll probably try a D. venusta too, as I've had success with leaf cutting of this (on peat/sand) in the past. Cool.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to try this with a D. venusta. Has anyone had success with this method on that plant? Also can I put other species in the same cup of water?

Thanks
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast