Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera whittakeri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I have managed to grow this beauty from seed. Alas, I am not up on its taxonomy. I received the seed from the Australian CP Society back before 2000, perhaps 1998. There was no more detailed description other than Drosera whittakeri. I defer to those more familiar with this species than I.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an awesome plant!!

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant, it's got some great reds in it. You have done a great job growing it!! Down here we are lucky enough to have them growing in our perverbial back yards. All mine have gone dormant now so I will have to make do with pictures of your plants till next winter [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

So this plant is about 20 months old? I asume you gave it a dormancy? I grow mine outside so do not have to wory about conditions so much but under lights how do you induce a dormancy?

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way it has grown for me:

It produced a small rosette, and as each parent rosette would turn brown and die a new rosette would form in its place, sometimes both would persist together for a short time. It did this about 4 or 5 times. It never actually stopped growing, just kept making new, larger, nicer rosettes. When the small moss that was growing with it became too dense, I repotted it and discovered a second, smaller tuber, which I planted separately though adjacent to the parent plant. The plant was in the process of producing this current rosette when it was last transplanted, about July.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great looking plant! Did u give it a constant photoperiod/temperature throughout the year?

Also, the green stringly things at the top of the plant.. are those LFS growing? I have something like that in my peat too.

A great looking plant! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, photoperiod 15 hrs/day. Temperatures about 80F continuously. No, not LFS, just a small unidentified Lycopodium or other moss species. It is not Sphagnum and it has frequently proven detrimental to CP cultivation.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plant Joseph! Congratulations. Like you said, worth the wait.

There are so many species out there to pine for...
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I can never have too many. They are so much like jewels, and rare ones that need constant care and attention.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast