Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera whittakeri

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This plant is the result of about 3 years of effort from seed. First it was nearly 16 months from sowing to the germination of one seed. Then the wait, but the sight of this gorgeous gem made every moment worth it. The larger plant is 3 cm (1-1/8 inch) in diameter.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed! Gorgeous! Good work and congrats. This looks a lot like a red burmanii to me (sorry if i offend the experts). Is it in the petiolaris complex or a basic rosetted sundew?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't feel bad, I have discoverd that quite a few people, experts included, can have difficulty differentiating amoung Drosera. This is a rosetted tuberous species from Australia. This one is just about to initiate flowers, it is 3 cm in diameter or about 1-1/8 inches. The following two images have been merged into one, same scale, nearly the same size plants and of course the second plant is Drosera burmannii (Red tentacles).

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gorgeous whittakeri! I have nver had the chance to grow this species, as my earleier attempts with tuberous drosera failed miserably (poor falconeri and petiolaris [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] ).

Oh yea, PingMan, was it you whom I sent a small petiolaris too (we thought it was slackii, but it wasnt). If so, how is it?
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually turned out to be a small Drosera pulchella and it did not make it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] Most sad because Drosera pulchella is my most favorite pygmae Drosera species.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely photo of a lovely plant. Which subspecies of whittakerii is this, ssp. aberrans or ssp. whittakerii? I'm pretty sure it's ssp. aberrans but sometimes it can be difficult to tell. The plants growing near my house are all going dormant now. It's your turn to appreciate their beauty now.

Sean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plant! Are you growing this under artificial lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, for awhile yet I will continue to grow under cool-white fluorescent lights at 15 hrs/day photoperiod. The final touches are going into the greenhouse though and then the plants will be moved there in stages, to ensure they adjust properly.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast