Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera adelae care

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is THAT what those things are that grow in sphagnum?? Sedge? I also get ferns (or something fern-like). The ferns I don't mind...the sedge, if thats what it is, is annoying.

My experience with d. adelae is the same...I've found it grows best for me in pure sphagnum moss and very wet. High humidity (some air circulation though) and low light. I have one that looks like Joseph's beauty posted here that is growing in a tank in a west-facing window so it gets more light than my others at home. Its quite pretty.

Suzanne

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, that "sedge" often develops large root systems in my pots, making it unable to be removed. I always pluck it as soon as I see it.

I have made three unlucky attempts at growing D. Adelae. I am fortunate enough to be acquiring a new specimen. This time, I will stick it in a tank and see if a difference is made because of higher humidity.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also made 3 unlucky attempts at growing D. Adelae. Every time I try to grow an Adelae, it seems to end in failure.
    Luckly I saved some cuttings before all my mother plants died.
    I have tried different soil types such as LFS alone, 50/50 peat,perlite 50/50 peat, LFS 50/50 peat,vermicultie and it made no difference. I'm pretty sure its not a light issue so it's got to be humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, the plant has started producing enough dew to trap insects easily, though not as much as Capslocks' excellent specimen.

The red color is incredible on the Pingmans plant. Im guessing higher light caused it?

I have it under one of those Skippy PBJ jars(the cylinder shpaed kind). It maintains humidity quite well, and I take the top off occasionally to allow air circulation.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can cut down on the sedge and stuff by boiling the lLF sphagnum. The downside is if you overdo it, it beats down the sphagnum's resistence to fungus.
    The premium sphagnums like chilean and especially New Zealand don't get "unwanteds" like our good ol Wisconsin stuff.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that I encourage the volunteer weeds that crop up growing with my CP. For me they seem beneficial when growing with CP, especially the grasses, grasses use lots of nitrogen, and I assume they extract some from the media when they are growing. I simply keep them trimmed very short with scissors. I find that Festuca glauca is a nice ornamental to grow with (in the same pot as) my CP.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Perhaps i'll let them grow in the future, at least in cases where their extensive roots aren't likely to cause problems.

Mr Griffin, i must get different Chilean LFS than you, because it sprouts grass and sedges non-stop!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12