What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera adelae care

Okay, so the sundew that I brought home has been indentified as Drosera adelae. It has one leaf which has enough dew drops to catch an ant, but 1 is unfolded and another is coming up. The new leaves remind me of ferns more than other cps!

Has anyone had any experience in growing and propagating these plants?

How much dew can they produce?

What position would be best for them as far as light goes?

Nflytrap, it needs a lot of humidity, but less light than most drosera. It also likes it a little on the warm side. At least that's my experience.

Mine are in my lowland terrarium, and they produce more dew there because of the humidity. If fungus starts growing on it, it's too humid, but other than that, you want it as humid as possible.

They produce plantlets as they grow. If you take care of it, you'll soon have more D. adelae than you know what to do with!

D. adelae, in my experience, don't need as much light as some sundews, but they need lots of humidity. Mine are planted in pure long fibered sphagnum moss, and sit in trays of water that I let evaporate between waterings. When you repot it, use at least a 4-inch pot, as the roots grow long rapidly. They don't like it very cold, so I keep mine indoors.

As far as propagating, just wait. Mine produces plantlets constantly, both in the pot, and in the saucer of water where the roots have grown. Good luck! Oh, here's a pic of mine:
D.%20adelae.JPG

Capslock

Hehe, you just beat me, D muscipula!
laugh.gif

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Drosera adelae is unusual among its fellow groupmates: Drosera prolifera, Drosera schizandra who both seem much more demanding of their environmental conditions.

Like VFTs they can thrive as long as their main needs are met, despite other varying conditions.

Above is a very nice photo of a lovely plant grown in lower light conditions and below is one that I grew in higher light conditions.

I grow mine in the same conditions as all my other Drosera, almost any CP potting media that is acidic, pure water, low to high light, warm temperatures, 50-60% R.H.</span>

d_adelae%20004_sml.jpg

Hey Capslock, that's a lovely sedge you have growing in there.
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I often encourage the growth of volunteer weeds myself, they help extract unwanted nutrient salts from the media.</span>

Is THAT what those things are that grow in sphagnum?? Sedge? I also get ferns (or something fern-like). The ferns I don't mind...the sedge, if thats what it is, is annoying.

Is THAT what those things are that grow in sphagnum??  Sedge?  I also get ferns (or something fern-like).  The ferns I don't mind...the sedge, if thats what it is, is annoying.

My experience with d. adelae is the same...I've found it grows best for me in pure sphagnum moss and very wet. High humidity (some air circulation though) and low light. I have one that looks like Joseph's beauty posted here that is growing in a tank in a west-facing window so it gets more light than my others at home. Its quite pretty.

Suzanne

Unfortunately, that "sedge" often develops large root systems in my pots, making it unable to be removed. I always pluck it as soon as I see it.

I have made three unlucky attempts at growing D. Adelae. I am fortunate enough to be acquiring a new specimen. This time, I will stick it in a tank and see if a difference is made because of higher humidity.

SF

I have also made 3 unlucky attempts at growing D. Adelae. Every time I try to grow an Adelae, it seems to end in failure.
Luckly I saved some cuttings before all my mother plants died.
I have tried different soil types such as LFS alone, 50/50 peat,perlite 50/50 peat, LFS 50/50 peat,vermicultie and it made no difference. I'm pretty sure its not a light issue so it's got to be humidity.

Okay, the plant has started producing enough dew to trap insects easily, though not as much as Capslocks' excellent specimen.

The red color is incredible on the Pingmans plant. Im guessing higher light caused it?

I have it under one of those Skippy PBJ jars(the cylinder shpaed kind). It maintains humidity quite well, and I take the top off occasionally to allow air circulation.

You can cut down on the sedge and stuff by boiling the lLF sphagnum. The downside is if you overdo it, it beats down the sphagnum's resistence to fungus.
The premium sphagnums like chilean and especially New Zealand don't get "unwanteds" like our good ol Wisconsin stuff.

Regards,

Joe

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>My point is that I encourage the volunteer weeds that crop up growing with my CP. For me they seem beneficial when growing with CP, especially the grasses, grasses use lots of nitrogen, and I assume they extract some from the media when they are growing. I simply keep them trimmed very short with scissors. I find that Festuca glauca is a nice ornamental to grow with (in the same pot as) my CP.</span>

Interesting. Perhaps i'll let them grow in the future, at least in cases where their extensive roots aren't likely to cause problems.

Mr Griffin, i must get different Chilean LFS than you, because it sprouts grass and sedges non-stop!

Back