Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera adelae care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so the sundew that I brought home has been indentified as Drosera adelae. It has one leaf which has enough dew drops to catch an ant, but 1 is unfolded and another is coming up. The new leaves remind me of ferns more than other cps!

Has anyone had any experience in growing and propagating these plants?

How much dew can they produce?

What position would be best for them as far as light goes?

1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nflytrap, it needs a lot of humidity, but less light than most drosera. It also likes it a little on the warm side. At least that's my experience.

Mine are in my lowland terrarium, and they produce more dew there because of the humidity. If fungus starts growing on it, it's too humid, but other than that, you want it as humid as possible.

They produce plantlets as they grow. If you take care of it, you'll soon have more D. adelae than you know what to do with!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D. adelae, in my experience, don't need as much light as some sundews, but they need lots of humidity. Mine are planted in pure long fibered sphagnum moss, and sit in trays of water that I let evaporate between waterings. When you repot it, use at least a 4-inch pot, as the roots grow long rapidly. They don't like it very cold, so I keep mine indoors.

As far as propagating, just wait. Mine produces plantlets constantly, both in the pot, and in the saucer of water where the roots have grown. Good luck! Oh, here's a pic of mine:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/capslock/images/D.%20adelae.JPG[/img]

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, you just beat me, D muscipula! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera adelae is unusual among its fellow groupmates: Drosera prolifera, Drosera schizandra who both seem much more demanding of their environmental conditions.

Like VFTs they can thrive as long as their main needs are met, despite other varying conditions.

Above is a very nice photo of a lovely plant grown in lower light conditions and below is one that I grew in higher light conditions.

I grow mine in the same conditions as all my other Drosera, almost any CP potting media that is acidic, pure water, low to high light, warm temperatures, 50-60% R.H.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Capslock, that's a lovely sedge you have growing in there. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often encourage the growth of volunteer weeds myself, they help extract unwanted nutrient salts from the media.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is THAT what those things are that grow in sphagnum?? Sedge? I also get ferns (or something fern-like). The ferns I don't mind...the sedge, if thats what it is, is annoying.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast