Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D. capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no other Drosera species cultivar can be called 'Albino'? That seems strange?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DM,

That is correct. Once a cultivar name has been registered it may not be used again. Drosera "alba" would have been rejected even if the registering author elected to use it, since "alba" is a Latinization, and all Latinizations are reserved for Species Novae publication. It was for this reason my own cultivar name 'Tamlinosa' was rejected, and devolved to 'Tamlin'.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erm... for the laymen (excuse me, laypeople) here, does that mean that only new species can have latinized names, and cultivars/forms must have non-latinized names?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, excuse me I have never told anyone that the proper name for a white flowered Capensis is "Capensis Alba" nor have I sold or given away plants or seeds and referred to them as Capensis Alba and probably never will. So I have not ever misled anyone nor do I contribute to the name confusion of this Capensis or any other plant. I was simply saying that I prefer Alba to Albino and if I want to call white flowered Capensis, Alba instead of Albino in my own home that's my prerogative. Thank You

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LA Traphole, I dont believe anyone meant any malice toward you. Please dont take it as such. As long as you give the proper name when you forward plants or information to other growers then all is well. If you wanna call it alba or albino or scooby flippin doo in your home then by all means go right ahead, its your house and nobody can tell you different. All that matters is when you give plants or information to the next person you also give the proper name. Thats all thats being said here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

You're totally right, Steve. I know that no one meant any malice towards me and I did not mean to come off as hostile to Tamlin or anyone else (and sorry if you got that sense). I was just clearing things out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the Savage garden and for the life of me can't figure out what king of sundew I have....I think its a capensis but I'm not for sure because it seems to have more of a stem than it should.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DM,

You have it right: only Species Novae (literally "New Species") published in a protolouge (literally "First Word") may employ Latinizations.

LOs Angels Traphole:

Thanks for allowing me to yet again get up on my soapbox and do a little teaching! Re-reading my post I see that it appears to address you directly, and that isn't what I wanted! To tell you the truth, I usually call the plant D. capensis alba too, as does much of the world. In private communications I don't always follow the rules, but I always do when making public posts or when sending material out. You're a good man not to take offense, and I appreciate it.

Slyfi:

D. capensis is a stem forming species: the older it gets, the longer the stem. In habitat they can get to be waist high, with dead leaves cloaking the stem. Juvenille plants appear shorter, but in time they will elongate. How long they get depends on the variety and how optimal the conditions are.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast