What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

Okay, i know it's as common as dandelions around here, but i've never had a 'white' (CORRECTION: 'albino') before, so here are some pics of my seedlings:

20031104-CP-D.capensis%20'White'-seedlings%202.jpg

20031104-CP-D.capensis%20'White'-seedlings.jpg

I really like the pink tone.  These may be my favorite capensis.

Question, though: is that pink tone supposed to be there?  Are these 'half white'?

White Can all of studden pop up out of no where. About 5 years ago i got 2 D. capensis and all white dew's poped up out of no where. From your photo i see yes! the pink tone is supposed to be there good luck! they look great ;)

The pink tone is normal: sometimes it is less or more pronounced from individual to individual. This is a published cultivar and should be referred to as Drosera 'Albino' or Drosera capensis 'Albino', not as "alba".

Is the "alba" or now "albino" a cultivar form, I thought it was wild form? Excuse my ignorance here. And is this plant a true albino as it seems to still be able to produce pigment, it just choses not to produce as much (hence the pale pink glands) as opposed to a true albino which has lost the ability to produce any pigment.

I think the "albino" form is a very nice plant, infact I have got a pot full of seedlings about 3mm across, OK I know its "only" a capensis but I like it!!

George

N: $[Drosera ' Albino ' {Borret & Farrow}]
P: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]
HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
B: R.Borret, Oxford; N.Farrow, Felixstowe, Suffolk, early 1988
Nominant: R.Borret & N.Farrow
Description: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
"After "growing-on" it became obvious that one plant was unusual for it presented a white flower and not the usual pink colour. The plant was propagated further by leaf cuttings and seed and was found to breed "true" (i.e. white flowers were produced). Another and probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun."
Standard: Savage Garden:128 (1998), (only second plant from left)
Propagation: leaf cuttings & seed
Etymology: after the complete lack of anthocyanins

Hope this helps :) As you can see by the description, the "albino" quality applies to the flower and not so much the leaves, which are mentioned as a secondary characteristic and only described as being not red. In cultivar terms, if you have a plant of D. capensis with a white flower and with leaves ANY color other than red, then this plant is Drosera 'Albino' unless you register another cultivar further defining the leaf/gland issue.

Thanks Tamlin.  I was wondering why the leaves were obviously not "albino".  I'll be sure to call it that in the future.  I believe my confusion comes because Peter doesn't do so in The Savage Garden, but i'm too lazy to check.

Well, half the time I forget to call it Albino too! Barry corrected my growlist (being an editor is automatic for him I guess) when I sent it to him once. This is a case of having to remember to use the proper name since I have always called it Alba as well, but the name is up to the person publishing the cultivar.

Tamlin, thanks for clearing that up.

I will have to remember to call it "albino" now, and that's the hard bit!
biggrin.gif

George

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Actually the correct terminology is:

Drosera 'Albino'

The genus name in italics (or underlined if italics are not possible) and the cultivar name spelled with an initial capital and in single quotations.</span>

Those are seedlings? Pretty big.......

I have a question though...I have a Drosera (got it from Lowes so I don't know what kind...its a very vertical plant with leaves about an inch long) and it has quit producing any sort of dew.....humidity is not a factor as I keep a clear plastic dome over it...I have noticed 4 small stem/stalk looking things emerging from the base of the plant and wanted to know what the heck my plant is doing....flowering perhaps?
rock.gif

PingMan:

Why is 'capensis' not part of the name?  I'm confused

Slyfi:

Sorry, can't figure out what species you might have from that description. Get the Savage Garden and it can help you identify the plant. It's a good book.

"Seedlings"... when does a plant cease to be a seedling, anyway?

I like Alba a whole lot better than Albino. Alba is a prettier name, Albino sounds a little offensive to me even if we are just talking about a plant. So I'll keep on calling white flowered capesis, Alba. I don't care if it's wrong.
smile.gif

> Why is 'capensis' not part of the name? I'm confused

It doesn't matter if it's left in or out. Thus, both D. 'Albino' and D. capensis 'Albino' are equivalent in meaning.

To add to the confusion, Peter D'Amato (or however you spell it) has it labeled as D. Capensis "Alba". Notice the incorrect name and the double quotation marks. The Savage Garden is a book widely used by people new and old to cultivation and seems to be at least part of the problem surfacing now.

SF

Part of the problem with ID confusion largly stems from people (like Los Angeles Traphole) calling these plants whatever they want, without regard to formal systems designed to keep these issues clear.

If you want to continue to add to the confusion no one can stop you, but I for one disapprove of your stance, and hope others will not be inclined to follow your lead.  You do *not* have the right to call a plant what you will, and doing so will not earn you any respect in the scientific or horticultural community.  The right to name a plant is given to the person who initially makes the first legitimate publication of it, and to that person only.  This matter is so serious there is an entire International Congress of Botanical Nomenclature which meets to regularly review published names, with regulations that stretch back centuries to the time of Linneaus.

You might not care if what you do is "wrong", but I do care.  Names are important, the proper spelling of these names is also important, and you can be certain that I and others will continue our efforts to educate a new generation of growers and scientists regarding this.  This Forum is an educational tool as well as being a meeting place where you can get free plants: but if you choose not to learn, then no one can force you.

If Peter D'Amato also refers to the plant as Drosera "Alba" in his book,then Mr. D'amato is likewise wrong. Two (or a hundred) wrongs don't make a right. The plant was legitimately published as a cultivar as Drosera capensis 'Albino', and this is the only legitimate name for it.

If you tried to use a "Bogus" name in reference to Orchids, you would be laughed out of the arena. Some orchid cultivar breeders have spent lifetimes and fortunes creating their cultivars. How would they feel if I suddenly decided I didn't like the sound of the name they chose, and started distributing the material under a name of my own choosing?

Tamlin is correct, as always!
biggrin.gif
 If you don't "care" about the proper naming, growth and cultivation of CPs, why do you grow them?  This is not to come down hard on individuality, but there ARE some rules that have to be followed in order to not have a hybrid program like Japan's.... (knock on wood).  

If you want to call the plant "Alba" or "Hungry" of "Jolly Green Giant" in your greenhouse, at least put the proper name on the tag, and when refering to the plant use the names that are given for international use.  The cultivar list does not need any more messing up!

Maybe someone ought to contact D'Amato and inform him of his error...

Good growing!

SF

So no other Drosera species cultivar can be called 'Albino'? That seems strange?

DM,

That is correct. Once a cultivar name has been registered it may not be used again. Drosera "alba" would have been rejected even if the registering author elected to use it, since "alba" is a Latinization, and all Latinizations are reserved for Species Novae publication. It was for this reason my own cultivar name 'Tamlinosa' was rejected, and devolved to 'Tamlin'.

Erm... for the laymen (excuse me, laypeople) here, does that mean that only new species can have latinized names, and cultivars/forms must have non-latinized names?

Oh, excuse me I have never told anyone that the proper name for a white flowered Capensis is "Capensis Alba" nor have I sold or given away plants or seeds and referred to them as Capensis Alba and probably never will. So I have not ever misled anyone nor do I contribute to the name confusion of this Capensis or any other plant. I was simply saying that I prefer Alba to Albino and if I want to call white flowered Capensis, Alba instead of Albino in my own home that's my prerogative. Thank You

Back