Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: D. capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, i know it's as common as dandelions around here, but i've never had a 'white' (CORRECTION: 'albino') before, so here are some pics of my seedlings:

I really like the pink tone. These may be my favorite capensis.

Question, though: is that pink tone supposed to be there? Are these 'half white'?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White Can all of studden pop up out of no where. About 5 years ago i got 2 D. capensis and all white dew's poped up out of no where. From your photo i see yes! the pink tone is supposed to be there good luck! they look great
    http://Geocities.com/southerntropicals

http://www.geocities.com/southerntro...rewstsmall.jpg
    Welcome to S O U T H E R N T R O P I C A L S the nepenthes and heliamphora garden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pink tone is normal: sometimes it is less or more pronounced from individual to individual. This is a published cultivar and should be referred to as Drosera 'Albino' or Drosera capensis 'Albino', not as "alba".
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the "alba" or now "albino" a cultivar form, I thought it was wild form? Excuse my ignorance here. And is this plant a true albino as it seems to still be able to produce pigment, it just choses not to produce as much (hence the pale pink glands) as opposed to a true albino which has lost the ability to produce any pigment.

I think the "albino" form is a very nice plant, infact I have got a pot full of seedlings about 3mm across, OK I know its "only" a capensis but I like it!!

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N: $[Drosera ' Albino ' {Borret & Farrow}]
    P: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
    S: =[Drosera capensis {L.}]
    HC: Registered 10. 11. 1998 (JS)
    B: R.Borret, Oxford; N.Farrow, Felixstowe, Suffolk, early 1988
    Nominant: R.Borret & N.Farrow
    Description: J.Carniv.Pl.Soc. Autumn: (1989)
    "After "growing-on" it became obvious that one plant was unusual for it presented a white flower and not the usual pink colour. The plant was propagated further by leaf cuttings and seed and was found to breed "true" (i.e. white flowers were produced). Another and probably more significant feature of the described form is the lack of red colouration in the leaves and tentacles under various lighting conditions, including strong sun."
    Standard: Savage Garden:128 (1998), (only second plant from left)
    Propagation: leaf cuttings & seed
    Etymology: after the complete lack of anthocyanins

Hope this helps :-) As you can see by the description, the "albino" quality applies to the flower and not so much the leaves, which are mentioned as a secondary characteristic and only described as being not red. In cultivar terms, if you have a plant of D. capensis with a white flower and with leaves ANY color other than red, then this plant is Drosera 'Albino' unless you register another cultivar further defining the leaf/gland issue.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tamlin. I was wondering why the leaves were obviously not "albino". I'll be sure to call it that in the future. I believe my confusion comes because Peter doesn't do so in The Savage Garden, but i'm too lazy to check.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, half the time I forget to call it Albino too! Barry corrected my growlist (being an editor is automatic for him I guess) when I sent it to him once. This is a case of having to remember to use the proper name since I have always called it Alba as well, but the name is up to the person publishing the cultivar.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, thanks for clearing that up.

I will have to remember to call it "albino" now, and that's the hard bit! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

George

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast