What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. regia

I swore I wasn't going to buy any more plants from lowe's, but you know how persuading they can be.  I saw they had a drosera I didn't have, the regia.  I noticed that the leaves were thinner and were a slightly different color.  I get the little guy home and take off the clear top off.  He is doing well, but after about a week, the leaves broaden and it looks just about the same as the D. adelae right next to it.  I am confused here, because it looks identical to the adelae, but was lableled a regia, and looks identical (albeit a week ago) to the D. regia that in the store but was larger then it a week or so ago.  I KNOW it isn't an adelae.  Has anyone else had this happen to them, or might be able to throw me a theory on it???

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Drosera adelae does not really look like Drosera regia. Any resemblance is only superficial. Without pictures to accompany your question it is going to be nearly impossible to give you a definitive answer. I have not, as yet, seen a true Drosera regia offered for sale anywhere except a few specialty nurseries. However, it would be nice to positively confirm that you obtained Drosera regia from such a venue.</span>

d_adelae_tray.jpg

d_regia_tray.jpg

I'll e mail one to you, I confirmed it against "the savage garden"

what constitutes a "true d. regia" anyway?

If it actually is a Regia, could you post and say so? I would love to get my hands on one!

SF

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Lets see, where should I start. Drosera regia is a different species of Drosera and it originates in South Africa. Drosera adelae is from North-Eastern Australia. Dead leaves of Drosera regia are dark black, strong and persistent -vs- Drosera adelae whose old leaves are like tissue paper and quickly disintegrate. Drosera adelae flowers are little star shaped things (about 1/8 inch across), usually dark red. Drosera regia flowers are much larger, 3/4 inch or more in diameter and various shades of pink.

d_regia_6Nov03.jpg

Here is illustrated a plant with mature leaves being longer than 10 inches.</span>

I would be floored if it were true that Lowes is selling D. regia. D. adelae I'd believe. But a regia??! Lowes?!! Sometimes the leaves of d. adelae are long, thin and pointed (like mine here at the office) but the growth pattern is different.

Bob...how does your plant grow? Do the leaves sprout up from the base or can you see leaves growing off of an upright stem?

If you email me a pic of it, I will host it for you and put it up on the forums (though I won't be able to do that until tonite).

Suzanne

I'll send a pic to you plantakiss, but I have to wait until I get home.  I KNOW for a fact that the picture of the D. regia is the same as the one at lowes, the smaller plant looks very similar, yet the growth pattern of the plant I have turned into that of the adelae very fast, but I almost 100% sure of the larger plants is regia, very pineapple top looking if you can visualize that.  I will go and buy one after work today just to get one (read irritate my wife even FURTHER if that is possible) and send plantakiss a pic.  That would be great for you to host it for me esp considering my digital camera isn't working with my cpu...is it rare for something like this to happen at say lowe's??  I cannot remember the company that puts these plants out, but they come in a fairly large plastic (all clear) container and have an all peat mix, that in itself tells me someone somewhere knows a little something...

mcrwt644,

Where are you located (City, State, Country)?

It is exceedingly unlikely that Lowes would market D. regia. Don't we wish!

I'm skeptical.  It would be an amazing find if it's true, though!!!

PingMan, you mention the persistence of the regia leaves... do you remove them, or are they okay staying on the plant?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I don't always bother to take them off. It does not seem to harm the plants in any way, they seem to add to the unique nature of this species. I only trim them off when I don't want to include them in photographs.</span>

It's probably best to leave them on the plant until totally black to allow for  translocation of the stored nutrients.

Ok, I got duped into thinking this was a regia, and it ISN't. I went in Lowe's last night all excited and picked one up, looked at the picture and noticed that the plant doesn't match the plant, funny thing. It is a d. adelae...I was sorely disappointed because I have so many d. adelae. sorry for the undue excitement...

There was one on Ebay not long ago.  D. regia is typically not priced the way a plant that sells at Lowes would be priced, and for a good reason.  If you want to get one, there are people on this very forum who have extras for sale, but again, it's rare and in high demand.  

If the plants at Lowes were really labeled 'D. regia', somebody (you) needs to make some complaints.  There's no excuse for that kind of error in marketing a product.

Joseph: Do the dead leaves not contributed to fungal growth?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Mold, fungus, and other microbes are intrinsic to growing anything outside of aseptic culture. My fungicide: is to give the plants the best environment I am capable of. I invite the natural process involving microorganisms. The only natural processes I take preventative and curative measures with are insect/animal pests such as aphid, spider mites, and nematodes. More often than not it is the physical attack by insects (or an inadvertent human touch) that gives pathogenic microorganisms a chance to infiltrate plant tissues. Sure, some pathogens are sympatric to the plants themselves, only needing the host to be weakened for them to take control, but in my opinion this is the exception for our plants when we grow them in near optimal conditions.

Microorganisms are our friends; for the most part it is they that take care of removing these old dead leaves in the mountains of South Africa. Lazy person that I am, I encourage them to do their work for me too.</span>

the plant was lableled "drosera" and of course we all know how many plants are in this family. I don't know if showing a picture of the plant on the container would justify that, but I may make a complaint like you said, I don't need or want anymore d. adelae, I have so many it isn't funny, probably around 20 or so...

Oh, i thought you said it was labeled D. regia.

Well, sorry about that.

Back