What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two of my D. adelae

This is my D. adelae 'Giant' I got from Gert Hoogenstrijd a couple of months ago at the European Exchange and Exhibition of Carnivorous Plants held in the UK in September. It's a monster, measuring 15 inches (38cm) across at it widest!! I couldn't resist this one, it's too big for my terrariums, but seems to be growing well in a shady location in my humid conservatory. Is it too early to deck it out for Christmas?
biggrin.gif

D. adelae 'Giant'

adelaegiant.jpg

This one is my typical clone of this species, which I grow in full sun in my conservatory, it's only 3 1/2 inches across, but I like the nice red colour.

D. adelae Grown in sun

adelaered.jpg

Cheers

Vic

That's a BIG sundew! Also, your typical clone, you say you grow it in full sun. Is there any shade cloth? About how many hours does it get?

SF

Vic, What area of the country are you located?
Also, is that red adelae yours?
rock.gif

S.F.

The amount of sun depends on the time of year, but in midsummer it gets sun from about 10-30am through until 7pm. I just treat it the same as my other sub-tropical dews. It's full sun, no shading. This is English sun though, so it doesn't appear all the time
smile.gif
) We have just had about the sunniest and hottest summer on record this year though.

I grow quite a few plants of the typical clone in shadier conditions as well and they have softer, wider, green leaves, like the 'Giant' only much smaller.

Vic

Terrific plants and nice photos. If the your new Drosera adelae is a different clone, perhaps you may be able to produce seed when they both flower next.

The thought has crossed my mind Joseph. The 'Giant' has only been in my care for a couple of months and has yet to flower (I wonder if they are larger too?). As I'm growing this one under natural light, it will probably be next year when it flowers.

Cheers

Vic

Vic,

Astounding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<<<<<<<THUD>>>>>>>>> (hits floor)

Thanks for sharing mate!

What a monster!  Thanks for the pic...that's a rare treat!

My d. adelae at the office is a good bronzy red color...in a window with a western exposure so it gets sun all afternoon.  Will try to post a pic but it sure can't compete with Vic's beauties!

Added pic:

dadelaeA10-03RS.jpg

Not as pretty as Vic's but not too bad for being grown in an office.  
smile.gif

Do you feed it mice?

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
not a creature was stirring, except for the mouse
he was stuck to the Christmas 'dew, stuck through and through
and shaking off ornaments in his panic, too.

PS Thanks for the D. scorpiodes gemmae by way of BCK.

D. musc, I gotta use that one
biggrin.gif

DUDE, Vic! Those are AWESOME!!! The size of the first one, and the COLOR of the second one!! WOWEES!!!!!!!

*keels over on top of Tamlin's shoes*

Thanks for the kind replies.

Reading the description of this species in Lowrie Vol 3 the leaves can reach 25cm (nearly 8 inch) in length, so my 'Giant' is at the top end of that recorded in nature.

Cheers

Vic

Back