What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera ramentacea

It arrived today.  I thought it was a myth, a legend, but here it is, muahahahah!  It came along with a stunning D. cuneifolia, D. kenneallyi, D. paradoxa (wipes tears from eyes).  

I didn't even send the donor a single gemmae or seed!

Anyone growing D. ramentacea?

Ok. Gotta go run and look at it again.  I feel like I am dreaming!

*Pinches Tamlin, just like he requested*

Congrats! Perhaps you are the only legend out there! I've never even heard of some of those species!

May your collection of 'legends' increase dramatically!

SF

Congrats Tamlin! I'm sure they will thrive in your care. As many of us have never even heard of some of those, how 'bout a picture?

Capslock

Congradulations! Must be very cool to get such unknown specias.

YtK

wow, congratulation Tamlin! I grew it once, well, I thought to grow it (you see where I am going!). I received some seeds some years ago, and turns out to be a spathulata... Just hope for you that it is as easy to keep and propagate than this one!
wink.gif

Well you all know if its possible, these species will be out and about in the hands of growers if Tamlin has success with them.
smile.gif
A nice person shared with him, he will share as well when the time comes. That's how it works.

Congrats...I know you are on cloud 120. I also know this means you probably are NOT sleeping. *sigh*

Well, enjoy the thrill. You've waited a loooong time.
smile.gif

Gezundheit

Oh, that's a species name...

Congrats, Tamlin. What goes around, comes around. Or, i guess you would probably say that you've got good karma.
smile.gif

Have fun!

lol, im shocked. Never heard of D. kenneallyi nor D. ramentacea lol.

Congrats Tamlin! They will all make stunning additions to your already outstanding collection. It has to be a sight to see.

Here are some links to the only published photos of this rare species sent by friend Robert Gibson. My plant doesn't look like this yet, it is only a very thick root with a few small leaves on the end, but it is a start, and a hope, and it is REAL!

Morphologically, the plant is closest to D. capensis. The two are strikingly similar except D. ramentacea grows in dry soil on
coastal hills around Cape Town, has rectangular leaves with a
conspicuous hair cover, has glandular hairs at the upper end of the scape and is notoriously hard to grow!

http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/UploadF....son.jpg

Plant-a-Kiss, nope, I haven't been sleeping too often lately. I am all fired up, but don't you worry, I am taking care of myself, and apparently others are taking care of me as well ;-)

wow, truely amazing Tamlin! I can't wait (but I will) to see pictures of these growing in your collection! Good luck man! And i'm so happy to hear these plants are finding their way to you.
Andrew

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Drosera ramentacea !!!!!!!</span>

My turn to faint and hit the floor!!

They couldn't go to a better grower, good luck with them.

Cheers

Vic

A little bit of CP trivia; D. kenneallyi is named after Kevin Kenneally, who has accompanied Allen Lowrie on several of his CP expeditions in N. Australia.

Well, I woke up, and it's still there. Now the worry begins.....

That looks pretty cool!
smile.gif
 Do it and D.capensis produce fertile hybrids?

Tamlin says to pinch him *** pours crabs , lobters and scorpions on Tamlin *** " well you begged me to pinch you "
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Pondboy

I do not know if a fertile cross has been tried, and I don't know the karyotype, but I suspect that it might be possible.

Plant and animal genetics are different, and so the species concept in animals may or may not apply.  I will agree that if any 2 species can form fertile hybrids, then this issue has to be looked at very carefully before assigning species rank.

In Drosera, these type of plants form "complexes" and they are complex!  This is where taxonomists "duke it out" and where molecular genetic analysis becomes useful to determine where in the phylogenic tree a given example is placed.  Its all very interesting (and often confusing).  All members of the various complexes (e.g. aliciae/natalensis, petiolaris, capillaris, peltata/auriculata) must be investigated, and field studies done before publishing a species.  It's a lot of work!

I suppose we would all like the plants to behave in the same way that animals do, that would make life a lot easier!

Goldtrap,

The Lobsters and Crabs I will deal with (into the pot they go, ahhh, with some melted butter!  I'll eat them before they eat me)  but the scorpions are OUT. They are my greatest phobia.

(next to air flight that is!)

(and s-s-s-snakes!)

snakes are sooo cool
cool.gif
, i wonder they freak people out soo much .

G'day Tamlin,

Good news! One thing you must be sure of is that the ramentacea doesn't get too hot or too wet. It can handle quite dry conditions in the warmer months. I hope you got two clones. They don't self too well.

I've got another interesting present for you on its way soon.

Greg

To not boldly go where other, snake, scorpion, air flight fearing persons have gone before.

But yet continuing to embrace these bizzare and most beautiful gems of the plant world --- Bravo!

Back