What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those new to Pygmy dews

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I've had a few people ask me if I knew what a sprouting gemmae looks like.  Just to keep it simple, here is a picture of my D. scorpioides from BCK (thanks!) sprouting.  Enjoy, and I hope it helps get a visual.
Dscorpioidesgemmaesprout.jpg

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.. thats exactly what mine look like
smile.gif

Steve

Mine look a lot like that too! I can even see a little root starting to poke into the ground out of my gemmae!

SF

what have you got them planted in , lol

Here's mine! A pair of gemmae of D. palacea ssp roseana from Dustin, six days after planting. Should I try to separate them? I'm thinking no:
D.%20palacea%20%20ssp.%20roseanna%20gemmae%20sprout.JPG

Capslock

Your medium does look like it has LFS in it, come to think of it. What is it? Mine are in pure silica sand.

SF

Oh, and Capslock, I would not separate two tiny plants like that. It would probably look better as a clump anyway!

SF

Mine are in 80-20 sand-peat mix.

Steve

Sorry, I had one more question. How did you all get the camera to focus on on the right spot? I'm having problems getting the correct focus, as the camera always wants to focus on the pot, or some other object instead of the plant.

SF

Good question SF. I took a bunch and kept getting the wrong focus. I decided it was because of the difference between the focus "eye" and the tip of the lens. So, I'd focus the camera, then move back an inch, and I got the best results. I'm not saying that's necessarily why, but it seemed to work. Though not as well as Andrew's! Oh, and mine is about 60-40 sand-peat.

Capslock

Capslock, you don't have to seperate them, if you leave the together they will just be a dual clump. If you seperate them it might be easier to see all the leaves, otherwise left together they get a little cramped but leaving them together does not affect the health of the plants at all. I just throw mine in a pot and they grow where they grow, but now is the itme ot move your gemmae around, they will root soon and moving will be impossible, if you move a pygmy generally they will tkae alot fo shock due to broken roots. If your plants are in a short pot however, it can be done CAREFULLY.

My mixture is not a science... but i'd say close to 60/40 washed sand/peat. but, I kinda flood the surface a little just once before setting the gemmae on it... Thank makes a thin layer of peat because it floats. So, right below that i'd say there is probably a thin layer of almost pure sand (because the peat is on top of it ) then it goes to the regular mix.

How to focus: It's not too hard with my camera.... It has a screen on the back so when in "macro" mode I can see if my subject is in focus or not when I hold the button down just a little. I only took 2 pictures, one with and one without flash. (you never use flash with macro but I forgot to turn it off. :p )
Andrew

Mine are sprotin` too! I`m using a mix of 25\75 peat perlit with a few strands of lfs on top,I`m keeping them in bright light (supplemented with a cf bulb) with 70 degree day temps,and 42 degree night temps>
smile.gif

Back