Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera seed pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The information was taken from:

The Drosera peltata - Drosera Auriculata Complex, Barry J. Conn
    J. Adelaide. Bot. Garden 3(1): 91-100 (1981)

and also from Dr. Jan Schlauer's revised key for Drosera published in the 1995 International CP Newsletter.

I'll send you a copy of the whole article. I find it interesting in that it describes the problems associated with defining the leucotype based on several confused issues in herborized specimens.

This was the instrument responsible for changing the rank of D. auriculata to a ssp. of peltata, but it surely won't be the last word on the subject as this is the topic of Robert Gibson's PhD dissertation, and Robert is being most inclusive in his treatment after reviewing all the Australoasian material. I really am looking forward to seeing it, and he's getting there with it! It won't be much longer :-) I will of course be sure you have it in hand as soon as it is published.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, I'd love a copy of the article. I emailed Jan yesterday, I dug his email up via the ICPS website I hope I got the right email address.

I collected some seeds from another location which has all 3 types. The seeds look the same as from this other location. I will try to get some pics tomorow to post.

I will have to send you an email, I have been really busy lately with work, and trying to keep ontop of all these plants now spring is here!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Robert is a very knowlegable person and I can't wait for his paper to come out.

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the lamna on the "foliosa" are quite big for the size of the plant. The plant in the photo would be lucky to be 6 inches tall and that was a big plant. If that was an auriculata it would be a midget, and the largest lamna I have seen are on some "foliosa"! They are a top plant.

To get seed into the US do you only need a phyto?

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,

It varies from species to species. I dug long and hard, and in the end I was told one must specify which species are involved, then, after the usual beaucratic delays, I would be informed as to what is required. A phyto for sure, and possibly additional permits from the Federal Food and Drug Admin. and also possibly Fish and Wildlife.

I know some folk that help me from time to time with permits and connections, so message me if I can be of any assistance.

Take your time with the email: I am so busy right now I have hardly time to sleep, and email replys right now are largely brief sentences. Have fun with your plants, and good growing mate!

Errr, better resend your snail mail address to me at least though, and I will send the article off to you!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for bit of a wander the other day and collected a few seeds. I collected from two areas where there were D. auriculata, D. peltata and D. sp. "foliosa" growing near each other. Here are the pics...

The seed apearence seems quite consistent with other locations I have seen. In the first pic the sp. "foliosa" seeds came from a very robust plant that had quite large seeds, and in the second pic the foliosa seed donors were quite small (younger?) and less advanced.

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi George! The photo's didn't load, sorry. You can post them here:

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/sundews

Right click the thumb-properties-cut- and paste to the Image window on the post.

I have the Conn paper copied and ready to send.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done!

I have found freewebs can be a pain sometimes. I don't think they like linking pic to the site. They work a lot better if you paste the URL into your address bar [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

I need a new host...

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works now! Nice photos! Robert Gibson certainly disagress with the reassigning of D. bicolor's rank. I will ask him what he thinks of the issue with D. foliosa when I next write, you have spiked my curiosity!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12