What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peltata or pulchella?

Cindy

Staff member
How does each seedling look like? I think I got their labels mixed up...

Thanks.
smile.gif

Hi Cindy,

Well, D. peltata look very alike D.rotundifolia in shape and size at first: it grows a basal rosette, and then after a few leaves, get an erect stem. If i have few spared time, I'll try to post you a picture...

For the D.pulchella seedlings, I never grew it from seeds, only from gemmae, but I can tell you that they has a large petiole comparatively to lamina (sorry no pictures). Only by their size, you should be able to tell the difference between these two, D.pulchella a lot smaller than D.peltata.

Here it is, sorry for the delay

Drosera peltata basal rosette

IMGP0231.JPG

A little after, an erect stem will arise from the center of the rosette... Hope this help...

I am beginning to wonder whether the seeds that I received as D. peltata is something else. As Tom has shown and also by Lowrie (Vol. 1), the first thing that appears from a germinated seed of D. peltata is a rosette, followed by an erect stem. However, my supposed D. peltata seeds germinated but an erect stem came up first! Could this be one of the three subspecies within the D. peltata complex?

That's it!!!!! My unknown. I thought if was a rotundifolia until it started to produce a stem. At least it might be it. It is a little slow growing right now at about an inch high.

I had once a peltata which skip the rosette stage, but usually, it is always present for me. But it is often disapearing little by little as the erect stem grows...

Note that D.auriculata (sometimes considered as a ssp of peltata in some litterature) also have a very similar form of leaves and growth, so you can narrow your search by looking at this rosette, but not necessary point at a species for sure...

Back