What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. scorpioides

Hello,
     The D. scorpioides I recieved from Steve have germinated and now have small petioles growing and a root system starting. Now, I have them in a highland setup, could they live in true lowland setup? Thanks,
                   Kevin

I would thing ethier would be approriate, as even though they are pygmies, they seem tolerant of ethier, as long as it gets plenty of light. Major cold may be a problem, as the same would go to extreme heat.

They seem to prefer cooler conditions: 50-60F would probably be the ideal, but with good air circulation, although they do tolerate warmer extremes in the summer in my collection, provided the roots remain somewhat cool. What they want most is light: the stronger the better to remain typical in form and coloration.

Kevin,
I grew mine on my porch rail on the east side of my house this summer.  Once the temps stayed above 45°f at night I started leaving them out all night as well.  Day temps here rarely got above 90° on the few hot days we had.  Most of the time the daytime temp was between 75°f and 85°f.  As these warmer temps usually occured in the late afternoon, the plants were in the shade of my house by then.  Night temps were in the 50°f to 65°f range.

smile.gif

BCK

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. I think I just may put them in lowland to see how they do.....But if not, back to highland. Thanks alot,
Kevin

Back