What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is right now a good time to sow seeds?

I just got some seeds for the icps seed bank today an I was wondering if right now is a good time to sow them or should I just stick them in the frig.

This is what I got....

D. binata - NZ
D. burmannii
D. intermedia - Venezuela
D. stolonifera ssp. stolonifera - I just planted 1/3 of the seeds
D. tokaiensis
S. flava - sowed some of the seeds
U. multifida

Thanks

If you have a growing light I think that you should sow them right now to give them a head start. (I'm just a beginner...So what I say isn't always right)

Hi,
Nice collection of seeds. Here is what you can do:
For the Sarracenia, sow the seed on a mix of peat/sand (or whatever CP mix you use) and place the pot outdoors to stracify (that is, keep chilled to vigorate seed growth in spring).

For the Drosera, if you have growlights, go ahead and sow on. None need a time of startifcation, so just sprinkle over some peat/sand and have fun. Same goes with the utrics.

hmm, I don't have a grow light. I guess they will have to sit in the frig untill next year...  
sad.gif

If you don't have a growlight you should wait until spring and sow the seeds directly onto the pots placed outside after danger of frost: that way the seedlings will naturally harden off .

Regarding the D. stolonifera species: this is a very difficult germinator, so you should do some homework regarding this one. It is also a winter growing species, and will not grow in summer months when the temps. are warm. If you can't provide good light in the winter growing season, even if you do get germination (seed can take up to 3 years to germinate) you will not be able to maintain this species. You might want to consider trading it off for an easier species.

I urge you to get a twin tube 4 foot shoplight. You are going to want it to maintain your plants come next fall, so why not go for it now?

Thanks everyone.
I know tuberous sundews are hard to grow but most places recommend as a first tuberous sundew to grow, so i thought i'll give it a shot. Also is D. stolonifera seeds affected by frost? The pot with the seeds just got frosted this morning...

They should be ok. I nearly froze several pots of D. peltata with dormant tubers, and they actually responded to it by growing. Maybe you will get lucky, but you should be prepared for a looooong wait if you haven't stratified your seed with Giberellic acid or smoke/heat methods.

Back