Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: d. cap giant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think the leaves are green due to shock but probably the growers before grew them in conditions with extreme lighting . the way my plant came was bare root and it kinda looks the same as it is in that pic now . my regular d. cappilaris does show some red coloring on the leaves but not the giant . one thing i figured is that when you ship sundews such as rossetted ones with round leaves through an envelope , they get smashed and when you grow them in sun again they turn into a very pinkish red color but the new growth is just regular , i am guessing that probably during shipping the plant got smushed and all the anthocyanin chemicals went to the surface where they can be more revealed . same thing with sarracenia too , when a pitcher gets old it turns dark red before it dies . also when plants are stunted or slow growing the leaves can develop a nice red because they have been exposed to light more and have not died yet .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

goldtrap2690, I bought the plant already in a pot at a nursery a few miles from my house. Sorry I didn't include that information in my first post.

Steve, I don't think my plants would make it with unfiltered sunlight. I live near Seattle, WA, and the sun is a rare thing to see now-a-days. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] We're expenting rain, rain, and more rain with low unending clouds for... well... until next April [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] One has to laugh... Anyway, the summers are excellent here for growing CP's outdoors, but any other time of the year forget it. Thanks anyway though.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you repot into a different medium? It seems acidity and micronutrients play some role in coloration (all other factors remaining the same). It is most likely the lack of sunlight (or sufficient UV) that is responsible, though. If you are growing under flourescent tubes, color loss is a good indicator that it is time to replace the tubes. The best coloration is achieved without any intervening glass or plastic, with the plants as close to the tubes as possible without actually touching them: terrarium culture of Drosera is not optimal for this reason. Hope this helps.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

No, I didn't repot the plant. I just placed it onto a makeshift shelf in the terrarium near the growlights, right next to the spatulata's. The spats are really red, but not the cappilaris. Anyway, I got 2 more 40w bulbs added to my lighting, so I have 4 instead of 2! More than double the lumens. We'll see what happens.

thanks for your help,

Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres a link to the old topic about this subject that i finally found : the other post about d. cap giant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12