What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

d. cap giant

here is the plant i was talking about that i got from the pft clearance sale a couple months ago :
d.%20cap%20giant.jpg

some people said that it was a large form of capensis which i highly doubted . i believe that it is a large form of cappilaris but somepeople said that pft would probably never sale the plant and if they did it must've come out the private collection which i think is what happened . nice plant though .

It looks juat like my d.capensis "giant" ! Nice palnts!
smile.gif

Well Im no expert, but that doesnt look like any capensis Ive ever seen.... It does look a lot like capillaris though. My vote is capillaris.

Steve

This is in no way Drosera capensis! Possibly it is D. capillaris though, and I suppose it could be considered a large form for that species. Pondboy, you need to change your plant label.

yah pond boy , that plant can be no way capensis so gotta change the label before you start a confusion . the plant is small at the moment , its in a regular pft pot so i will have to wait til the plant actually earns its reputation as being a true giant .

Yes, I agree.  It is not a capensis.  It probably is a D. capillaris "giant".  I purchased one from a local nursery not too long ago.

By the way, this brings me to a question I have for you all.  My D. capillaris "giant" was a very nice red coloration when I bought it, but the existing leaves died back, and the new leaves are a bright green.  It's in the same conditions as my other rosette drosera, such as my spat (see my sundew image upper left side of my posts).... so it is getting a good amount of light.  My question is: is the green leaves due to some kind of shock?  Any ideas?

thanks,
Homer

Homer, I have found that all of my Drosera only achieve their true coloration in direct unfiltered sunlight. Try that and see if you can get them to redden up a bit. Im sure I dont need to tell you to acclimate them slowly ect ect
wink.gif
hehe

good luck
Steve

i don't think the leaves are green due to shock but probably the growers before grew them in conditions with extreme lighting . the way my plant came was bare root and it kinda looks the same as it is in that pic now . my regular d. cappilaris does show some red coloring on the leaves but not the giant . one thing i figured is that when you ship sundews such as rossetted ones with round leaves through an envelope , they get smashed and when you grow them in sun again they turn into a very pinkish red color but the new growth is just regular , i am guessing that probably during shipping the plant got smushed and all the anthocyanin chemicals went to the surface where they can be more revealed . same thing with sarracenia too , when a pitcher gets old it turns dark red before it dies . also when plants are stunted or slow growing the leaves can develop a nice red because they have been exposed to light more and have not died yet .

goldtrap2690, I bought the plant already in a pot at a nursery a few miles from my house. Sorry I didn't include that information in my first post.

Steve, I don't think my plants would make it with unfiltered sunlight.  I live near Seattle, WA, and the sun is a rare thing to see now-a-days.
sad.gif
  We're expenting rain, rain, and more rain with low unending clouds for... well... until next April  
laugh.gif
  One has to laugh... Anyway, the summers are excellent here for growing CP's outdoors, but any other time of the year forget it.  Thanks anyway though.

-Homer

Did you repot into a different medium? It seems acidity and micronutrients play some role in coloration (all other factors remaining the same). It is most likely the lack of sunlight (or sufficient UV) that is responsible, though. If you are growing under flourescent tubes, color loss is a good indicator that it is time to replace the tubes. The best coloration is achieved without any intervening glass or plastic, with the plants as close to the tubes as possible without actually touching them: terrarium culture of Drosera is not optimal for this reason. Hope this helps.

No, I didn't repot the plant.  I just placed it onto a makeshift shelf in the terrarium near the growlights, right next to the spatulata's.  The spats are really red, but not the cappilaris.  Anyway, I got 2 more 40w bulbs added to my lighting, so I have 4 instead of 2!  More than double the lumens.  We'll see what happens.

thanks for your help,

Homer

Back