Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D. schizandra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture I took tonight of my Drosera schizandra.

Against advice to the contrary, I have begun to lightly mist the leaves with an extremely dilute fertilizer solution.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

PinguiculaMan, that is amazing! I can't help but pester you all that grow this plant with such success. I must ask what conditions you grow yours in?

The dew on my schizandra is not nearly as pronounced, even though the humidity is 94% +; even in a sealed 5.5 gallon terrarium.

cephalotus88, thanks. I will give my plants a good watering at times and give it fresh air every day or so.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presently I am keeping my Droesra schizandra in a closed quart size ziploc freezer bag, and I keep the bag up against many cheapest, cool-white fluorescent lamps on 15 hours per day. Their day is our night.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misting with the fertilizer is working? That is supposed to be a death sentence, as you alluded to. Joe, You are a man with balls the size of ....N. rajah pitchers. Sorry, that was the only cp-related analogy I could come up with, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the plant is in a sealed terrarium which I employ for this and other high humidity demanding species. My experience with the plant has demonstrated water left standing on the leaves will rot them in short order. Pinguiculaman is an exception to many rules :-) If I tried this, my plant would be history.

As to the fertilizing process, I defer to Joseph in this as I have little experience - but be aware that when he speaks of fertilizing the plant, it is with a VERY dilute solution, and not something I would recommend to anyone not well familiar with a TDS meter.

Different conditions produce different results from grower to grower. Don't be to quick to assume that "standard" information and advice is the end of the matter. Careful experimentation under YOUR conditions is always a good thing. PLay around with it, move in small steps, and go with what works for you.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Here's what I did. *I top watered my 2 D. schizandra pots and placed them into a 5.5 gallon aquarium that is 2" full of distilled water. *The top is fully enclosed. *Lighting is provided by 1x 15w fluorescent plant & aquarium light. *I'll see how this works. *From time to time I'll give them some fresh air and top water them well w/o getting their leaves wet.

-Homer
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-01-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of some nice looking D. schizandra:
    JCPS
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 01-01-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Nomenclature adjustment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12