Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drosera capillaris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greatly appreciate everyone's input on this thread. Please keep up the good work. My goal is simply to do my best to discover what phenotypes of Drosera capillaris are being grown by CP collectors/horticulturists. I am a very visual person, the memories of seeing uncountable numbers of these plants growing over seemingly vast areas in the southeastern USA is a memory I will probably carry to my grave. There was much variability, but I could say that once I learned to recognize Drosera capillaris it was possible to differentiate them from the few other Drosera which I sometimes found growing with or near them, namely; Drosera brevifolia, Drosera intermedia, Drosera filiformis, and Drosera filiformis var.tracyi.

Though their purity may be tainted with crossing or back-crossing to some of these other species --- hard for me to say. One thing I can say for sure though --- strictly as a horticulturists. They sure are as beautiful to me as many of the other amazing CP and Drosera in our world.

Please continue to contribute all your wonderful photos and experiences with Drosera capillaris to this thread.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

Another trait that might help with identifying your plant. Many Drosera spatulata in certain environmental conditions (good light), exhibit a darker green (olive) cast to their leaves. Your plants have this coloration. I have not yet seen this coloration in any form of Drosera capillaris.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from both your descriptions on D. spatulata this D. capillaris i have might as well be a spatulata . i did'nt have a magnifying glass to check the seeds but they looked smooth enough . i guess i have 2 spatulata plants now , buts its weird though because my other spatulata does'nt look too much the same . i guess i'll change the label , now i have to find a real D. capillaris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

If you PM me your shipping address I will send you some fresh seed. You seem to be doing very well with your Drosera spatulata. You should do very well with Drosera capillaris also, they grow well for me in the same conditions.

My recommendation would be to just add a "?" to the label indicating that the identification is in question, then continue to observe the plants and compare them with other plants and submit samples of their seed to experts like Tamlin or Fernando. Perhaps post a thread on the "Identify that plant" category.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you very much and my plant has flwoer stalks on it so i'll see if there are still more seeds in those dired up flwoers , I'll make a post in the ID forums as well , it seems that lots of my plant are getting wrong ids [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

The seed pods on Drosera spatulata are very distinctive. Look at how the sepals remain open, not closed around the bud, in a star like effect. This is a characteristic of this species, and a reason why the species is so weedy in collections: the sepals do not clasp shut around the seed pod, and the seed is free to spill out everywhere.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep , i got another spatulata now . thanks for helping me get a right id guys .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow a plant that copper sent me as D. capensis "giant",but I gueess it`s really D. capillaris "giant",any body have a pic of d.capillaris "giant"? It`s one of the most vigorous plants I grow!And appears to be very easy from leaf cuttings.

[img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast