What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Drosera capillaris was the very first sundew I ever grew. It was not always one of the easiest for me to grow either, but once I had seen them in the Southeast covering the ground for scores of acres, it was awesome and quite inspiring. After seeing them growing so vigorously and prolifically in the wild I extrapolated what I was neglecting them in cultivation, provided it and have had good success with them ever since.

Here is one of my favorite forms to get this started:

The seed this plant was grown from was collected near the U.S. Naval Hospital, Pensacola, Florida in a roadside ditch where I also discovered the near red-pigment-free form of the same species.

d_capillaris_pensacola_fl.jpg

The flowers of this one are larger too, like the plant, and lighter pink than the Meadowview plants.

Another form was obtained from Meadowview Biological Research Station: Image follows.

d_capillaris_sml_fm_a.jpg

Under the same conditions, it is a much smaller plant and has a stronger red coloration, with strongly pink flowers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Nov. 26 2003,12:05)]heres a pic of mines :
Psssst Goldtrap...  the word is mine, not mines. I only mention it cause this is the 3rd time today I have seen you spell it that way.  
wink.gif

Steve

ps.. Nice plant
smile.gif

lol , thanks for telling me , people would've thought of my plants blowing up bugs rather then digesting them
biggrin.gif

Hey Goldtrap, your plants seem to have wide lamina, they could be D.spatulata.... You'll have to check the seeds to be sure with a magnifying glass. If they're full of grooves or smooth, they're spatulata, if they're bumpy/ lumpy, they're capillaris.

I am currently growing a whole batch of these plants from seed. Infact I noticed today the first flowerstalk on this plant. 3 others also have flowerstalks... Anyway, you can tell from the picture this plant is still pretty young. I hope it shows what you are looking for.
Capillariswflower.jpg

Andrew

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Greatly appreciate everyone's input on this thread. Please keep up the good work. My goal is simply to do my best to discover what phenotypes of Drosera capillaris are being grown by CP collectors/horticulturists. I am a very visual person, the memories of seeing uncountable numbers of these plants growing over seemingly vast areas in the southeastern USA is a memory I will probably carry to my grave. There was much variability, but I could say that once I learned to recognize Drosera capillaris it was possible to differentiate them from the few other Drosera which I sometimes found growing with or near them, namely; Drosera brevifolia, Drosera intermedia, Drosera filiformis, and Drosera filiformis var.tracyi.

Though their purity may be tainted with crossing or back-crossing to some of these other species  ---  hard for me to say. One thing I can say for sure though  ---  strictly as a horticulturists. They sure are as beautiful to me as many of the other amazing CP and Drosera in our world.

Please continue to contribute all your wonderful photos and experiences with Drosera capillaris to this thread.</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Goldtrap,

Another trait that might help with identifying your plant. Many Drosera spatulata in certain environmental conditions (good light), exhibit a darker green (olive) cast to their leaves. Your plants have this coloration. I have not <span style='color:red'>yet</span> seen this coloration in any form of Drosera capillaris.</span>

from both your descriptions on D. spatulata this D. capillaris i have might as well be a spatulata . i did'nt have a magnifying glass to check the seeds but they looked smooth enough . i guess i have 2 spatulata plants now , buts its weird though because my other spatulata does'nt look too much the same . i guess i'll change the label , now i have to find a real D. capillaris.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Goldtrap,

If you PM me your shipping address I will send you some fresh seed. You seem to be doing very well with your Drosera spatulata. You should do very well with Drosera capillaris also, they grow well for me in the same conditions.

My recommendation would be to just add a "?" to the label indicating that the identification is in question, then continue to observe the plants and compare them with other plants and submit samples of their seed to experts like Tamlin or Fernando. Perhaps post a thread on the "Identify that plant" category.</span>

thank you very much and my plant has flwoer stalks on it so i'll see if there are still more seeds in those dired up flwoers , I'll make a post in the ID forums as well , it seems that lots of my plant are getting wrong ids
sad.gif

Goldtrap,

The seed pods on Drosera spatulata are very distinctive. Look at how the sepals remain open, not closed around the bud, in a star like effect. This is a characteristic of this species, and a reason why the species is so weedy in collections: the sepals do not clasp shut around the seed pod, and the seed is free to spill out everywhere.

Drosera_spatulata_flower_scape_072303.sized.jpg

yep , i got another spatulata now . thanks for helping me get a right id guys .

I grow a plant that copper sent me as D. capensis "giant",but I gueess it`s really D. capillaris "giant",any body have a pic of d.capillaris "giant"? It`s one of the most vigorous plants I grow!And appears to be very easy from leaf cuttings.

How in the heck do you take such beutiful closeups like that? I try that and my camera is either blurry or it is to dark to take a picture. If I use the flash then it is to bright. I will never cut it as a photographer like PinguiculaMan! Butt if I go by my quote "I will never be done!" I should be alright.
wink.gif
BTW very nice photos youz all have..

Travis

Travis,

Here's how I take pictures of flowers and the like. The camera obviously focuses on whatever it thinks you're taking a picture of. Most of the time then, you'll get a nice picture of the background. To solve this problem, I put the flower right up next to a piece of black construction paper, and also stuck a milk jug lid next to it. The camera focused on the lid and the flower was in focus too. The flower picture in my avatar was taken with a similar process.

Good luck!

SF

Sorry to keep harping on this subject, but consider it a part of my efforts to educate. There is no Drosera capillaris "Giant Form": Size is relative, and it must be relative to a standard if it is going to be meaningful. Since there are no published or registered cultivar descriptions regarding this "Giant" it does not yet exist, and anyone growing and sharing this specific material should either eliminate that name and call the plant simply Drosera capillaris, or else register the plant name along with a description and photograph so that it creates a standard for others to compare their plants with. Unpublished names are termed "Bogus" and their use only creates more ID confusion for other growers further down the line.

Back