What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The photos don't show for me, but this seed is also listed in the ICPS seedbank. It was sensitively collected in habitat by friend Ivan Snyder. The ID is positive.

Pond boy,  You must not have gotten the PM I sent a few months ago.  That is a capillaris 'giant', not capensis.  This was sold by PFT as D. cap 'Giant'.

No I didn`t thanks! Makes sence how big will it eventually get? It is currently about 3\4 of an inch but is very vigorous and jam packed with leaves! It also looks different then the other d.capillaris you sent me.the regular one is green with red glands and the "giant" one is more bronzey with red tenticles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Dec. 04 2003,12:41)]Sorry to keep harping on this subject, but consider it a part of my efforts to educate.  There is no Drosera capillaris "Giant Form":  Size is relative, and it must be relative to a standard if it is going to be meaningful.  Since there are no published or registered cultivar descriptions regarding this "Giant" it does not yet exist, and anyone growing and sharing this specific material should either eliminate that name and call the plant simply Drosera capillaris, or else register the plant name along with a description and photograph so that it creates a standard for others to compare their plants with.  Unpublished names are termed "Bogus" and their use only creates more ID confusion for other growers further down the line.
Thats why its called "giant" and not 'giant'.registered names are in single quotes,unregestered names are in double quotes.

<span id='ME'><center>pond boy runs!</center></span>

I have some D. Capillaris where the Sundews are growing out of the end of the Flower stalks. Is this normal?
and the name of mine are printed as 'Giant'

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of a Drosera capillaris I discovered in Pensacola, Florida the day of the Space Shuttle Challenger accident.

It is nearly all green, and with a white flower. The only red pigment is a pale pink on the tentacles and tentacle gland tips.

d_capillaris_Green_B1c_crop_a.jpg
</span>

You guys scared me. I just rekindled this hobby in June and spent a few weeks researching the net to determine which sundew a nursery sold me. I went back and forth between rotundifolia, intermediata, capillaris and spatulata, before settling on spatulata. Then I saw the pics of the capillaris and panic set in, before the ensuing posts concluded they were spatulata. Still can't tell the difference between kanto, kansai, ahipara or whatever whomever crossbred with what.

Oh, that new varient you found is very pretty pingman
smile.gif

...I think that most D. spatulata varients have yet to be given a varient name. However, I do know that most are named for there location of origen and are defined by size and growth habbets. AKA, it would be hard to ID them from basic photos.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>One other thing I would like to mention about the all Green form.

Immediately after I acquired it, I grew about 50 or more of them in a community tray and harvested most of the seed they produced that summer (quite a large amount of seed). I then sent 1/2 of the seed collected to the ICPS seedbank so it could be distributed further.

Then came a period (about a year) when I was unable to cultivate plants of any kind, CP included, (my work kept me on the road, away from home, more than I was home). So I was trusting that my portion of these unusual Drosera capillaris would survive as "germplasm" seed that I had kept to restore them when I could again cultivate plants including CP.

But, alas, when the time came, though I was able to germinate a great many CP seed that I had been keeping, I was unable to germinate any of the all Green Drosera capillaris seed.

Thank goodness I had earlier distributed seed through the ICPS seedbank. Not only was I able to reaquire this interesting variant (thank you SundewMatt), but I learned that it had been written about in The Savage Garden.
Thanks Peter D'Amato.</span>

Here's some pics of one of my capillaris forms, D. capillaris 'double ovary'

capillaris_double_ovary_sm.jpg

capillaris_double_ovary_3_sm.jpg

(the two on the right)

hope you enjoy.

-noah

noah,

I'm afraid your photographs of Drosera capillaris may not be Drosera capillaris at all. Perhaps Drosera spatulata?

Are there any stalked glands on the scape?

What do the flowers look like?

What do the seed look like at 200X magnification?

Hi Joseph,

Brad pointed this out as well on the CPUK forum. I got the seed from him so he should know. ;) I had assumed they were correct ID, but shall examine them closer today. The first flower scape is about 80% of the way to the first flower, that will tell us a lot right there. I don't think I have any seed left... if I do, I'll take some magnified pics.

Looking at the plant again, from the shape of the leaves I do think it is quite possible that it is indeed a d. spatulata. I'll wait for the flower for a definite answer here.

Brad, are they indeed "double ovary" mutations? Have you had yours flower?

-noah

Back