What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prolifera plantlets

Anyone have any experience growing prolifera?  My plants are growing quite well, producing runners in all directions.  The problem is, the runners don't seem to "bite" when they come in contact with soil... they just keep creeping along the soil.  I've tried live sphagnum, now I'm trying 50/50 peat sand mix (same as parent plant).  

Do the runners have to flower first?  I try burying the end of the runners  just a tad bit but it just keeps on creeping.  

-Homer

Yes, the runners will have a few flowers prior to having plantlets. Make sure that the tip of the runner has made contact with the ground. It will bow itself down when it is ready.

And then you will have a prolific amount of prolifera plantlets. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

SF

The plantlets will form on their own, and when that happens, then you can pot some soil under them. Then they will produce plantlets, and be ..prolific. There really is no better word for it, is there?
I had a 10 gallon full of these once, until I put a pot of U. longifolia in there. The stolons went all over and I ended up with no Drosera and a mass of stolons covering the bottom of the tank 2" thick, lol.

Joe

Back