What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South American Drosera seeds vs stratification

Hi,

I have sown some Drosera capillaris seeds from Brazil, and after 3 months, nothing sprouted! It is not my style to throw away a pot before I am sure there will never grow anything in it, but I am getting a bit impatient for a specie which is supposed to be easy to grow and sprout.

Since most South American Drosera are known to live in cool place, it comes to my mind: perhaps they need a stratification just like the temperate Drosera... I germinated a lot of seeds of this species in the past without problem, but since the location is different this time, perhaps the treatment should be too... But before risking the pot into the fridge, I prefer to ask: Do these seeds need to be stratified?

Thanks

Tom

Brasillian seed can be stubborn Tom. I have had to wait nearly a year in some instances. You might try putting the sown pot in the fridge for a couple of weeks, it couldn't hurt. Other than that, I think it's a matter of waiting. Perhaps the seed is inviable from poor storage, or hybridogenic in origin. I am currently studying hybridization within the complex, especially in Brasillian forms. If you can recommend a source for this seed I am interested in finding Brasillian forms of D. capillaris.

If you would like to try another form from Praia do Imbe Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil let me know. I can provide a sample of this seed to you.

Hi Tamlin,

it is the same form I got from a seedbank, perhaps you are the donator?! I was looking for the whole location data before you post... I don't know how much time they have been stored in this seedbank though...

Not from me. My seed is in short supply so far, the plants are fairly new in my care.

Well, in this case, I wouldn't say no to few seeds, if you have any spared... I've PM'ed you. I know a HPS lamp which would be glad to watch'em grow
smile.gif

D.capillaris grows in coastal Brazil, where it's usually very hot, although it can get to nearly freezing in the winter, especially in the southern range in Rio Grande do Sul. It should germinate quickly however, I don't believe this plant needs stratification.

Fernando

Thank you Fernando for this
smile.gif
I don't know much about the biogeography of Brazil, and I know it could be helpful for such thing
smile.gif

Back