Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera burmannii, form from Beerwah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plant Joseph, I like the little pinkish flower stalk on the plant at left. Indeed, they are very similar! But I never had the chance to have this one, and neither another form of D. burmannii, so why the 'red traits' came up is still mysterious... Is D. sessilifolia different in cultivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean, the next emerging inflorescence looks like a miniature pink pigs tail.

Your plants appear to be doing what mine do when the salts/TDS in the media has increased to the point of being toxic to the roots. Sometimes transplanting to new, low TDS media will permit them to recover, sometimes it is too late.

Drosera sessilifolia, for me, has the same growth requirements as Drosera burmannii.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you think the sudden color change in tentacules would result of high concentration in salt? Interesting point, and since I have nothing to loose, I'll repot them right away and let you know what happens [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

With the close-up picture, I agree that it is not some fungal infection. Maybe you could check the pH w/ a litmus paper to save yourself from repotting the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Pingman does the turning red due to the soil conditions happen to numerous other drosera as well ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have seen it happen with several different Drosera at various times. Often it is attributed to certain fungi, but it could be that the soil conditions or TDS/Salinity level has tipped the balance in favor of the fungus.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update! After few weeks, the new grown leaves are back 'to normal' , ie without red pigmentation. The only change was I was watering less (too buzy) so the soil was lightly moist and not wet. I haven't had the chance to test the TDS, but I will in the next week, even though everything got back to normal. Strange :P, but I'm satisfied, since I didn't wanted to loose my beloved Beerwah form!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12