Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drosera burmannii, form from Beerwah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have been growing this form for now more than 3 years, and it is the only form I have grown. It has pretty, large green rosette, mostly out of red pigmentation, even under strong lighting. But this year something change: most of the seeds sown grew up in red colored plants! Only 1-2 individuals in a pot of 20 show 'the original caracters'. What happens? A 'bad' genes recombination in the seeds formations process (the red genes took on the green? I don't know which one is recessive in this case...)? Any idea on this?

By the description I've read of this form, it is caracterized by the green color, and lack of red (even if it not totally). But since it is now totally transformed, do I still have the 'right' to label it as the form from Beerwah... It is still ok with the location, but not with the phenotypes...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom,

This seems very strange to me! I have grown the Beerwah form outside in full sun, and have never gotten a red form. Here is a photo of one plant which was grown outside in full sun. The photo was taken at the end of the growing season (you can see the red in some other Drosera next to it):

Are you also growing Drosera sessilifolia? If so, this may account for the color difference if the plants are confused or hybridized with each other? Just a thought. How about posting a photo: is this possible?

You might try writing to Ivan Snyder who introduced this form into the U.S. to see if his plants ever became red . Note that "Beerwah" is not a published cultivar, so there are really no qualifiers of color or form. By ICBN convention, the addition of anything other than the scientific binomial is considered illegitimate (despite frequent use ny everyone).

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin,

thank for the quick reply! No, I never had the chance to grow the 'distant' twin D. sessifolia, so hybridization is not possible. I'll try to post a picture soon (must find a way to have some time to take a picture when the light is open! :P). When I said the 'almost green', it is about the 'pinkish' *really light pinkish* like appearence of the glands (see your picture, at 7-8 o'clock on the plant). Other than that, my plants were plain green and white, as your.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here they are, quick picture of them side by side:

[img]http://home.**********.com/quizibo/2burmannii.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the look they have (I'm a bit ashamed!) but they didn't recover very well for the aphids attack they had this summer when I was away. I think they'll skip flowering this year, and the rosette shorten in size since I switched the light back on 12/12. Let's hope they'll find a way to live a little longer, at least for setting seeds... I'll begin by removing dead leaves... it's a start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend I happened to see Ivan Snyder and his Beerwah D. burmannii plant. Like you mentioned Beerwah is just the location where he obtained it.

From your picture, I can't tell if the redness is a plant characteristic or if it is the red fungus that seems to infect this species. It seems that the leaves are dewless, which would be that fungal infection.

P.S. Tamlin -- Ivan's computer is in the shop, so it might be a little while before he responds to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emesis, here is a close up of the red plant, by what I can see, I do not see any fungus growth (a lot of dead leaves though), unless it is not apparent...

[img]http://home.**********.com/quizibo/burmannii.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,

What ever they are they certainly are beautiful.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of Drosera sessilifolia, a species with a remarkable resemblance to Drosera burmannii, in fact you will need to get some input from one of the Drosera experts to tell you of any differences besides the difference of where they grow natuarally. All I know is that they are one of my favorite little gems. They grow quickly and easily -- nice traits for one so beautiful.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast