What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera "Sp. congohas"

Fernando,

Of all the known Brasillian taxa you have found, this is the most fascinating to me.  As I understand it, this plant is found only at the base of quartz scree, where the soil line begins and interweaves with the rock.  Is this an example of exploitation of a micro niche?  It amazes me to think that this potential species could have evolved in such a narrow microclime, and I am curious to know if it has radiated in any way from it.  Are all the instances of its occurence related to the base of the scree, or is it found in other places?  Are these isolated individuals, or members of a large population?  I am also curious to know what you regard as closest to it by way of species.  Robert sent me some 45mm photos (nice to see something not digital!) last Easter, and this plant is just amazing!  I am very interested in speciation in the remote Teupi habitats where so many species are truly endemic.  I believe this is not a hybrid, but rather a distinct taxa awaiting your publication since it produces  fertile seed, or am I wrong in this?  If you have any photos of this one not included on your website, I sure would love to see them.  Thanks for any information you might be willing to provide, and for being patient with my questions.  Maybe I will never have the plants to grow and appreciate, but at least I can learn about them!

William,

This plant has already been described in the last CPN as D.tentaculata, by yours truly. It is not exclusive to this white-quartz-gravel-soil-meets-sandy-soil habitats, but it does like them a lot. But there are 3 species which do seem to be almost exclusive to this sort of habitat, strangely enough. And these are the 3 rarest Drosera in Brazil I believe: D.montana var.schwackei, D.sp."Serra do Cipo", and D.sp."Shibata's".

D.tentaculata is part of the montana complex, but is closest to schwackei in my opinion. D.sp."Serra do Cipo" is sort of a short intermediate between D.graminifolia and D.chrysolepis. D.sp."Shibata's" is also a montana complex, probably closest to tentaculata.

Fernando

Back