Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera filiformis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

For mine, the older leaves flop over the edge of the pot...not upright like in most photos I see on the Internet...

I suspect it's due to low light intensity (I'm growing it under florescents)...the leaves are scrawny and long but are dewy.

Or it is the species?

Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine... not well! I too am interested to see how other's "healthy" plants are grown.

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cindy. Hi SF. I have a Drosera filiformis (red) growing outside. It was growing great, leaves growing straight up and eating well until August when the leaves started dying and it began forming a hibernacula. It looks like a little green marble. Why it would do that at that time of year is beyond me. I was hesitant to put it in the frige as it is a North Florida plant and it doesn't get all that cold up there for very long periods of time. I put it in a shady place underneath my grow bench, cut back on the water and it just sat there doing absolutely nothing. Yesterday I put it next to my other Drosersa to see if it is going to come out of dormancy or die...got my fingers crossed as it is a very pretty plant. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine also formed a hibernacula, but that just occurred. I believe that this was due to the shortened photo period. I will be moving it to my hibernation. Maybe it is the time of the year that is causing your problems.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always had some problem with D.filiformis, no matter what was the hybrid/ssp. But this year, I changed my formula, I grow them in LFS instead of the usual peat/sand mix. Since then, I haven't had any loss, but the dormancy hasn't begun yet (my major losses usually). Nevertheless, my leaves usually dry up easily, and I think that mosses can provide the lacking humidity, and a 'airier' substrate. I keep water at 1/2", and they have been both grown under HPS and fluorescent tubes. Note that the fluorecents tube were 6" away, and there was reflector all around on the walls. If you space coverred by your fluo is quite small, you can try to make an homemade one from foil. I did mine with mylar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all mine outdoors where the prosper in either sand/peat or live sphagnum. Indoors I have the red form, under a 1000 watt HID lighting system. If dormant, the hibernacula should be kept barely moist, or they are likely to rot. Dormancy is primarily determined by daylength: my plants begin the process in September. The problem with flourescent lighting tis to provide light close to the surface of the pot. This is not too hard with the flat species as they can be placed close to the tubes, but the length of the leaves of D. filiformis prevents this. Tom's mylar idea is a very worthy one, and might grant more success. The single most improtant factor for good Drosera health is LIGHT. These plants require as much as cacti to be at their best in terms of form, color and dew.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My D. filiformis has grown well both outdoors and in. Paradoxically, the leaves flop over more indoors than out. Maybe the light winds actually strengthen the leaves? It's under bright light, and growing vigorously, however. I'll put it back outside after the winter.

Capslock

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capslock,

Interesting theory on the wind, but I bet that unfiltered light from outdoors is enough of an edge to keep the leaves straight and strong.
    Where do you live again?

Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast