Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drosera schizandra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homer,

Just remember that this is speculation on my part, but it seems it would account for the growth pattern of this species. I encourage the experiment. The golden rule of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" might not always apply: what is needed is close attention to growth patterns, and the second that a chosen method or protocol fails a willingness to consider alternatives despite established opinions.

Joseph's experiment is laudable, but even more important is his reporting of it. With new data comes the possibility of deeper insight, so please keep us posted as to your results.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since reading the other posts on this thread, it has got me to thinking. If Drosera schizandra is a "forest floor" species, what must be in the "rain" that reaches it after it has filtered over the surface of countless leaves and stems, etc. on its way to the forest floor. My understanding would be that no real "rain" water ever reaches them, just the rinse water from countless tree surfaces. Just imagine what could be in the "water" that reaches our precious Drosera schizandra. Are there any birds living in this habitat? Any rabbits? Any insects? My understanding is that they all deficate. Ha ha. Possibly TDS in the 100's of PPM. Just logical speculation unless someone were to test the hypothesis by collecting some "rain" water falling in the vicinity of the actual plants in situ.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be an interesting bit of data for sure, and I'd bet you're right in that speculation. There's always another piece to the puzzle isn't there?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Here's an updated pic of my schizandra since changing the conditions last month. Much better results! You can see in the picture the young ones growing in the pot. Just wanted to let you all know that my new growing methods are working fine.

[img]http://home.**********.com/homer/schizandraupdate.jpg[/img]

-Homer [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    even though this plant is tropical, it seems to appreciate some cool, humid conditions. is it possible it would respond to the way Joe grows D. regia and tamlin grows D. graminifolia?

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schizandra is an easy plant if you don't fuss with it. Just let it sit there and do its thing, without worrying about it and if your temperature and lighting are good, it will thrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CP Angel,

Are you growing this species? Can you post some photo's of your plants? What conditions do you have yours in?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I spoke too soon (of course) on my last reply. The 2 newest leaves that have formed on this plant are turning brown, even before they fully develop... and it spreads throughout the leaf. Looks like rot of some sort. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Any ideas on ways to combat this? The good news is that its producing offshoots that I place in other pots nearby in case the worst happens.

-Homer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast