What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew question

Hey,

I'm new to Sundews but have a few questions. If anyone is able to help answer them that would be great!

I brought a few Sundews a few weeks back, one is a Capensis and I am not sure of the other one. They both flowered and it seemed that one of the Sundews died. However I have recently noticed that it is starting to come back to life, with two totally new shoots forming. I spread the seeds out in the same pots as the parent plant, as the pots are pritty large and could be good for a few more plants. How long will they take to grow, and should I keep them in the same pot long term, or transplant them when they are large enough?

Cheers for any help,
Have a good one!
smile.gif

dan

I have seedlings growing in all my pots: they are weeds in my collection. They will be fine where they are until large enough for transplanting out after they form some 3 or 4 true carnivorous leaves.

Thanks for your relpy
smile.gif
I hope that the seedlings grow! I'll have to read up on their growing seasons etc. Thanks once again!

dan

Hey Dan,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! If you could take some photos and maybe describe the 'dews, someone could try and identify the unknown one for you. I'm sure both will do great, but it's always good to know what you have. If you haven't seen it already, a great book to read is The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato.
laugh.gif

Ok here are my 2 sundews. I took the photo on my phone camera, so unfortunately they are not as clear as I would like. Here is the first one. I'm fairly sure its a drosera capensis.
sundew.jpg

The next photo is the unidentified sundew. Its small, with 'Capensis style leaves', clear dews that almost make the leaf look like it has a white tinge. White flowers.

sundew2.jpg

any help would be great! Sorry about the vague descriptions. Have a good one!

dan

I thought I had responded to this, but I must be seeing double!

I can't see your photos, but from what you describe, the "D. capensis type plant" is most likely D. "Albino" often misnamed D. capensis "Alba". There are very few Drosera which resemble this species, and none of them common plants.

Back