What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera capensis observation

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I received a lot of Drosera capensis seedlings growing in a beaker a few months ago. I replanted them into 4 different pots. all of the pots were a mix of perlite, LFS, and peat moss. 3 of the pots had a mix of equal parts of the growing medium. These plants are growing great with lots of dew on the leaves. The last pot was a mix of 75% peat moss, 10% LFS, 5% perlite. The plants in this last mix is not growing as well, and does not have dew on the leaves either. I have just replanted it in a mix of 45% LFS, 45% perlite, and 10% peat moss. I can let you people know how this plant recovers in the new mix.
Have you seen your plants grow different like this with different amounts of the growing medium?

I think that the 4th pot was just holding too much water, what else could it be?

I've noticed this too. The D. capenesis in my terrarium (2/1 sand/peat) have lots of dew, however,the first time i tried them several months ago, they were planted in 2/1 peat/perlite and had NO dew, then when i moved them outside and planted them in 2/1 sand/peat with my sarracenias, they did GREAT.

There are many reasons for the plants not having dew. One of the major reasons is often lack of light. When you moved yours outside, this likely fixed that lack.

The purity of your mix is another. The last pot you mention had a high ratio of peat. If this was kept too sodden and wet, it is possible that the roots were not getting enough oxygen. Peat becomes very compact when it is waterlogged.

Back