What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's a merical!

While watering my sphagnum pellots (what happend to my sundew pellots when they all died) I came accross a merical yesterday. There, under a think mass of moss I found 4 healthy, D. rotundifolia seedlings! The seeds that I planted almost a year ago, the same ones to be coverd by mold that was killed with rubbing alcohol and replaced by sphagnum. The seeds everyone thought were long dead, SPROUTED!
biggrin.gif
after the horible loss of my sundews this summer, I couldn't be more thrilled with the sudden appearence of the D. rotundifolia! It looks like they have been growing under the shelter of 1.5 inches of moss for a while now as they are all over 1cm in diameter.
smile.gif
Amazing, my X-mas wish came true. I was judt so excited about it I had to share.
smile.gif

Wonderful, congratulation!

Seeds are a good way to have 'back up' in the future when disasters occur, just like in nature (seeds which are longer than others to sprout, from the same species, are useful this way).

A good example of this in nature: I had my internship past summer in New Brunswick, and part of it where the monitoring of a rare species of plant, the Saint-Lawrence Aster (Symphyotrichum laurentianum ). The four colonies where I worked were devasted by an automnal storm the year before, and all the plants were killed before even one plant have succeed to flower, so the hope of seeing emerging seedlings of this annual were very thin. Nevertheless, 2 colonies emerged this automn, from seeds fallen onto the grown 2 years ago, which is a great relief, and an explanation of Mother Nature trick to preserve its beloved creations from its own wrath :p.

Congrats! Glad things worked out for you!

SF

smile.gif
yah, Thank Goodness for Seed Banks. I have learned one very large thing from all this though. Planting seeds in live sphagnum makes better seedlings
smile.gif

Back