Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. spatulata

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a "Sundew" from a nursery in September. It took awhile to track down which species and subspecies it is. It looks just like the green Ahipara specimen in Dawnstar website. Since it is a tissue culture does it know what season it is? Does it ever propagate via rhyzome? When can I expect flowers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is most easily propagated by leaf cuttings,to do this simply cut a leaf off,place it on the media(or in disstiled water) and secure at the petiole end with media,you should expect sprouts in 4-8 weeks. About flowering it should flower by next summer.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,they dont have a rhizome!
    And no they don`t go dorment! They are a subtropical species and therefore grow year round,though they may slow down a bit in winter.
    Kindest regards,
    Noah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Ahiapara form is a New Zealand alpine, and it does experience a sort of dormancy. This is not a widely circulated form, and most D. spatulata are dormancy free. If it has a white flower and glabarous scapes, it is likely a New Zealand form.

Plants flower usually within 2 seasons from seed. There is no seasonal flowering per se, but my plants make the most in the spring and summer months.

I propagate all my Drosera spatulata variaties from seed which is usually abundant. Leaf cuttings also work well for all the forms.

P.S. If you wish to be correct with your scientific names, note that only the first name (genus) is capitalized, and the genus should always accompany the species name even if only abbreviated: i.e. D. spatulata. "Spatulata" with a capital is always incorrect. Cheers, and thanks for giving me a chance to offer a little education to everyone.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I didn`t know that about the new zealend forms! Thanks!
    Oh and btw D.spatulata "kansai" aka d.tokaiensis Is a hybrid between d.rotundifolia and d.spatulata "kanto" and the non fertile plants are known as d. x tokaiensis!

Can D.tokaiensis cross with D.rotundifolia?
    And can D.tokaiensis form hibernacula?
    Thanks,
    Noah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noah,

Well, actually my D. tokaiensis did once form a sort of psuedohibernacula! They also slow down a lot in winter.
    I believe the backcross would work with D. rotundifolia but it would take a 2n=20 D. spatulata type. Since theses forms are native to NZ where there is no D. rotundifolia, it would not be a natural example of introgression. I could be wrong. It would be an instructive experiment to make though!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin - Thanks for the reply and taxonomy refresher. I am very new to CP's and have been killing VFT's since my youth, through ignorance. I swore I'd never buy another one, but when Home depot had a batch of them - I just couldn't resist. But this time I was going to make sure I knew how to keep them alive for more than three months. That was in June. In September I bought a "clump" of the aforementioned sundew, but didn't know more than its genus name. So I went to the bookstores and the internet. A lot of them looked alike - to me - particularly the spatulat, rotundifolia, capillaris, and intermediata. It didn't help that I was looking in the book entitled, "Carnivorous Plants of North America" as well as mostly indistiguishable home photos of red sundews. Mine was all green. but, between your website and some fella that had several photos of the one he bought - I was reasonably convinced I had a spatulata, particularly the one sub-species. Anyways, it's / they are still alive and green, with a little bit of red, and dewy. I thought I had 10 or 12 plants, and decided to start separating them, I plucked the one by one from them perimeter an placed what I thought were four single plants into four individual containers. Surprisingly, they all lived. Upon closer inspection I noticed that I had 7 or 8 plants separated out. The original clump looks no smaller. I think they're growing and getting "elbow room." Well, that's why I asked about the rhyzomes. Is it possible that I had almost 20 plants in one 1.5" clump? I can see why you referred to them as "weeds" in something I read. What does glabarous mean? Also, the forum control panel informs me that I haven't chosen an avatar. What is that - please don't say it is the gal who plays the part of a spaceship in a Roddenberry program called Andromeda.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your avatar is the pic of a cat to the left of your post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast