What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.spatulata

Cindy

Staff member
smile.gif
The plant...

spat_plant1rs.jpg

Close-up of leaves...

dew_on_spatulata1rs.jpg

Wow! nice plant!
Is this tropical? ive been thinking of getting the seeds from the seed bank

Cindy,

This is beautiful example of the Kansai form of D. spatulata, I especially like the view of the prominent stipules in the center of the plant.

The plant is a tropical, but it's hybrid parent D. rotundifolia contributes a tendency for winter pseudodormancy in my collection, where in the past it has formed a sort of hibernacula. I keep my plants less wet and cooler if and when this happens.

Wow, Cindy! That is a great plant! Is this plant from seeds?

Tamlin, I thought that D. spatulata is a species and not a hybrid?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ Dec. 19 2003,19:14)]Wow, Cindy!  That is a great plant!  Is this plant from seeds?  

Tamlin, I thought that D. spatulata is a species and not a hybrid?
It is, but that proticular plant was named before people found out it was really a fertile hybred, not a varient, so now it's technically it's own speices.

So, D. rotundifolia is one of the parents of D. spatulata (Kansai form). What is the other parent?

Most D. spatulata are indeed not hybrids (except possibly in the very remote past). Only the "Kansai" form of D. spatulata is a now fertile hybrid with D. rotundifolia, and may be referred to as D. tokaiensis.

D. tokaiensis is only found in a very limited range around Shikoku and southern Honshu in Japan. The Kanto form of D. spatulata is distributed from Australia to central Japan, although it is highly variable across its range.

Hmm...Means this plant is d.spatulata (Kansai) <labels plant> and it's a species...although it's d.spatulata x d.roundifolia...uh, right?
rock.gif

Tamlin, how do you tell if it's Kansai or Kanto? And does flowering weaken it? Since it's doing quite well, I thought I should start collecting seeds for give-aways!!!  
cool.gif

You can name the hybrid Drosera spatulata x D. rotundifolia either as D. tokaiensis or D. spatulata "Kansai Form".

The main visable difference is in the petiole.  The Kansai form has narrow (less than 2 mm) petioles which are straight sided for their whole length, and with few stalked glands present along their length.  The petioles terminate in an almost round lamina, giving the plant a spoon shaped look (if tyou are using Western style spoons, that is ;-)  It also looks like a spoked wheel from above.

The Kanto form has petioles that gradually widen towards the lamina (the trap), giving a wedge shaped look with stalked glands present along much of the length. The rosettes appear more dense.

Less visable differences relate to the styles: the Kanto form has less divided styles at the tips (although this is variable in different forms), the Kansai form is more divided at the tips.

I have not noticed much set back from flowering in either form.  I remove the scapes after I have sufficient seed in both cases, but more for preventing the weeds from coming up in other pots.  Because the sepals do not fully close around the seed pod, both species self sow like crazy.

Drosera spatulata "Kanto Form"
Drosera_spatulata_AWM1_061903.sized.jpg

Drosera tokaiensis:
Drosera_tokaiensis_rosette.sized.jpg

Now I understand! To bring this matter to a conclusion, would Tamlin have a photo of a real D. spatulata to show us and also to use as a comparison?
smile.gif

See the above photos. The first is the Kanto form, and hence a "pureblood" D. spatulata.

I see now...<labels another plant>
biggrin.gif
I have d.spatulata Kanto too...but still a seedling.

Back