What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just bought three D. capensis at lowes!!!!

I rescued (I hope hehehe) three droseras and they're probly the healthiest cp's I've ever seen at lowes. They must have just got them in.

Well I bought all the living ones (3
sad.gif
) and would like to know what kind they are I have a inkling that they are capensis. I'm trying to remeber way back in the day when I used to have some. Having trouble remembering the names, hehehe, need to restudy....

thanks for any help
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I have only seen D. Adelae at Lowes, though LenG444 told me he has gotten a D. spatulata. I have no mature Capensis (believe it or not) so I can't post a picture. They should be pretty easy to find though. Try going here Photos

SF

thanks for the link, I still can't figure out what I got. I'll have to post a pic some how.

I transplanted the three into a makesift terrarium and they are doing even better now, all three of them are sending out new leaves quite fast.

I have only seen D. adelae at lowes.

do you have a picture of that? perhaps thats what it is. But they had two types when I was there I got the ones that looked heathy. The ones that were dying were low to the soil and the leaves were very broad.

probably we can help you id your plants if you describe them for us
rock.gif
i have seen d. adelae most of the time at lowes , sometimes i've seen d. spatulata , but never seen d. capensis except at my local nursery .

I've heard of Lowes selling D. Capensis but I have never seen it..

When I went to Lowes to see if they had something I didn't have I saw what was termed as a sundew, with nothing more than telling me it was a Drosera. I already knew that! So I did what I've been doing all along - I went to the internet and searched until I determined that what they had was an adelae. It was confirmed by others commenting about the Lowes sundew. Now, looking at Capensis, there is similarity in that they both have elongated leaf shapes as opposed to capillaris, rotundifolia, intermedia, spatluata, etc... Is it possible that capensis is being confused for adelae?

I too have only seen d.adelae,and d.peltata?

D. capensis' leaves are long and upright and get wider at the ends.

Pond Boy

Are you saying you've seen D. peltata at Lowes? You must be mistaken. I can pretty much guarantee Lowes does not sell D. peltata. That's a tuberous sundew and pretty hard to find in the U.S.

The only sundews I've seen/heard of Lowes selling is mostly D. adelae, an occasional D. capensis and someone said D. intermedia although I'm not sure about that either. You sure can't just go pick up a tuberous sundew at Lowes...although that would be nice!
smile.gif

Suzanne

I bought a vft a few years back and in the pot was an upright sundew with circular traps....an interlooper. It didn`t survive though.:(

Hey Flip

When asking for an ID on a plant...its helpful to have as much description as you can provide if you don't have a pic (size, color, leaf shape, growth habit, etc.).  Saying "it comes from Lowes" does eliminate many possibilities but with a litte description, I'm sure it could be ID'ed.

Does the plant grow upright with leaves coming off a central stem?  Or does it grow flat to the ground in a rosette?  If it is growing upright off a stem, are the leaves lance-like and pointed with tentacles all over the leaf?  Or does it come out in a long thin "arm" with an long, ovalish "paddle" on the ends of the stem with tentacles only on the "paddle"?

If it has the sticky "paddles", its D. capensis; if it has the longer, lance-like leaves covered in tentacles, it is D. adelae.   D. adelae is most often the drosera found at Lowes.

Hope this solves your problem.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back