What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae resurrection

Early in spring I bought a sundew D. adelae that I kept outside. I brought in for the fall when it was starting to get cold at night. And had it temporarily sitting on desk by a window until I could get my little greenhouse put together. It stayed there for a few days. One of the older leaves had a bad looking spot on it. (like it was burned away.) so I trimmed off the leaf, leaving it sitting in the peat moss at the edge of the pot. A few days later my cat got into the room and I found cat hair all over the little leaves. I finally got it moved in to the the little green house, but all the leaves on the plant had turned brown and shriveled away. I thought it was dead for sure.

But then, I decided to leave it in the greenhouse because the leaf I had cut was still green, and I thought maybe it would root... (which is a joke because I've never been succesful with any cuttings from any plants rooting.) Now here I am over a month later and the "dead" stick i had left has 8 tiny new green leafs growing out of it, and the leaf I cut off is still green with litte green bumps around the cut area where it is on the peat moss.

My question is, What are the little bumps? they look like something the leaf is growning, not like mold or algea or anything like that. Are they root buds and if so what do I need to do to keep them healthy?

Apply the general rule of thumb, and do not change any of the conditions your plant is in. It's growing, and it sounds like your leaf cut is also working. Take note of what your conditions of light, humidity and substrate moisture are, and try to maintain them. Congratultions on a good save!

Thank you, I will do that.
biggrin.gif

The "green bumps" sound like plantlets to me!
smile.gif

Plantlets = baby plants!

Congratulations!
wink.gif

Back