Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: sundew flowers

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the second time my Drosera spatulata has created a flower stalk. I have yet to see any flowers open.
    I did a search and someone said that there flowers might only stay open for about an hour, it was not a D. spatulata though.
    I was wondering what others experience with D. spatulata was.
    If this is normal and all goes well, I guess I could have some seeds to trade.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have already seen several flowers open and could also take lots of pictures. In my experience, Drosera open the flowers only if there is good light and warmth. It also seems, that it depends on the species on which time of the day and how long the flowers are opened. For example i have never seen an opened flower of Drosera burmanii, until i was in the greenhouse at 6am. There were severall flowers of this species open. At 8am they all were closed. Drosera dielsiana also opens the flowers only for one to two hours in the early afternoon, while the flowers of Drosera venusta are opened more less the whole day.

As to D. spatulata. In my growing conditions the flowers open in the afternoon. I never paied attention as to how long they are opened, but i suppose it might be for some hours. It doesn't matter, if the flowers will open or not. You will have lots of seeds!

Here is a picture of a flower from Drosera spatulata :

http://www.utricularia.net/Bilder/d-spatulata2.jpg

Christian