What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera communis

Hi,

I would like to know who is cultivating this species (not spatulata, that is very often spread under this name) and in what conditions you are growing them. I'm even more interestet to know how D. communis can be multiplied. Do leaf- and/or rootcuttings work ? Is it self-fertile ?

I'm cultivating one, i got with the following name : Drosera communis 'robust scapes, Amorinópolis, Goiás state, Brasil'

Thanks in advance,
Christian

Hi,

I have grown the form from Jacaraci (Bahia State) for a couple of years. I had one plant send up a flower stalk some time ago. For unknown reasons the flowers never opened completely, so I didn't expect any seed. I was quite surprised when seed was produced even though it was pure luck that I test sowed them as they looked small and dried up. To conclude; this species is certainly self-fertile.

I've had plantlets appear after some sloppy transplanting which must have left pieces of roots in the old pot

I haven't tried leaf cuttings, but I wouldn't be surprised if that would work too.

Regards,

Christer

I sowed some Drosera communis from Biritiba-Ussu last November, but have had no germination. I sure would like to grow this species, reproduce it and get the seed around to others. Finding viable seed is a real quest it seems!

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I'm quite confident to have some plants spare in about half a year. My plants are responding well to the conditions i grow them in.

christian

Hi Christian,

I was wondering if you (or anyone) could post a photo of your plants?

Hi William,

Your wish is my command
smile.gif

communis_nr1_001_56_07012004_004tn.jpg

Drosera communis 'robust scapes Amorinopolis Goias state, Brazil'

communis_nr1_002_56_07012004_007tn.jpg

Drosera communis 'robust scapes Amorinopolis Goias state, Brazil'

I got these plants about 2 months ago. They seem to have acclimated now and start to grow. I have about 10 to 15 of these plants.

Christian

Thank you Christian! Better be careful making those kind of statements though: I have many wishes, LOL!

Your plants present a very interesting appearance, and thankfully do not look like D. spatulata at all, although they seem different from other forms I have seen in cultivation. Best wishes for success with the plants! I look forward to photographic updates as the plants mature.

Don't worry about their strange appearance, since it seems they're still adapting to the new environment. Hopefully they'll soon begin looking less estiolated however...

Fernando Rivadavia

HI Christian,

Thank you for sharing those photos.

Are you sure that plant is communis? It looks like it could be something else.

Where did you get it from?

Angel

SPecies ID is always problematical, but considering Christian has the collection data attached to his plants I think the odds are good that it is D. communis and likely from seed collected by Fernando.

Hi,

These plants are originally from bestcarnivorousplants. I'm quite confident, that it is really D. communis. It looks different than everything, that i have seen so far. The plants in the picture above are only 1cm in diameter. I will keep you updated and post some new pictures, when the plants are bit a bigger.

What other Drosera species are growing around Amorinopolis ? If the location data is correct, it can be only one the plants, that grow there.

Christian

Well well...CPangel...

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

It is great to see another FEMALE grower here...and one that seems so well versed in Droserae. You seem to be quite knowledgeable about the rare ones. Maybe you can share a bit about yourself? How long have you been growing CPs? Do you have a growlist?

I'd like to invite you to post your photo on our picture thread in the General Forum. There are far too few ladies here and another one with your skills will be a great addition.
smile.gif
So please join in.

You go GIRL!

PAK

Looks like he isn't going to post that picture, lol, must be shy.

Back