Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drosera graminifolia Diamantina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been 1 1/4 year from seed collected by Fernando and Robert Gibson in August 2002 to the beautiful plant about to flower with leaves about 10 inches long. This is a great plant that deserves a place in more collections. I hope to have seed from this event to share in the near future.

The plant is cultivated in a novel way: it is grown as a semi aquatic. The pot is a full 10 inches, with an inch of redwood mulch placed at the bottom of the pot for a sump. The pot itself sits in a jardeniere with the water level just below the potting medium which is pure milled live LFS. The plant grows in ambient conditions outside during the summer, and on a well lit rack during the colder months, and has been problem free as far as culture goes.

I believe the redwood sump provides valuable discouragement to various bacterial processes that might otherwise attack the roots in such flooded conditions. I use the same protocol with D. regia with great success, and D. ascendens also seems responsive to it. All are growing in ambient natural conditions here with an average humidity of some 60% and with a good nightime differential in temperature of at least 5 degrees minimal, and usually more.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pickle over there, pickle over there, everyone say ho!

Congrats Tamlin!
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're on my list Zach :-). Uhh, bad news about the latest D. cuneifolia seed though, the seedlings have distinct petioles . I just sowed another different batch of this and D. admirabilis so there is still some hope!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for you, Tamlin the Plant Wizard. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] It looks goood!

Zach....WHAT is that about a pickle [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GASP!!!!

I am very pleasantly surprised, to say the least! I guess I should say that I am in denial, not allowing myself to believe it's true!!

Congrats! You seem to have found the right way to cultivate these and other CPs from cool mountains seepage habitats, which until now have been a major pain in the *** in most CP collections!!

Not only did they grow extremely fast (only a year and a half to flower!!!), but they look great!!!

Keep up the good work and don't forget to use this recipe on all the Drosera, Utrics, Genlisea, Heliamphora, and others you can get your hands on!! As well as teach others the trick!

Congrats,
    Fernando Rivadavia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's really cool, Tamlin! Novel idea on the potting mechanism, too. I'm going to have to try to find some redwood mulch....When you say "redwood," by the way, do you mean real sequoia, or simply red cedar?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Handgrenades, Batman! Er, I mean Tamlin!
    You have outdone yourself! That is the best pic of that species I have ever seen. It looks healthier than the ones in habitat on Fernado's page(Hi Fernando [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] )
    Pickle, smickle, I want to know what a jardeniere is, lol.
    You have to write an article on this method for CPN. God knows we need more cultivation articles in there.
    How fresh does graminifolia seed have to be,?

Congrats!

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the kind comments! I seem to be getting a good feel for the Brazilian species in general. It's always great to flower a species grown from seed!

To answer some questions:

The mulch is true redwood, but I surmise that red cedar would have the same properties. Both are known to have antimicrobal action.

A jardenier is an undrained container. In this case it is one of those motel ice buckets. I keep the water level even with the top of the resavoir and replace by topwatering when it gets down an inch or so.

Thanks go out to both Fernando and Robert for bringing back some of this seed, and especially to Robert who sent some seed my way.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast