User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gemmae Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to be developing a problem with my pygmy gemmae. I have so far lost one D. Stellifolia and two D. Dicrhosepla to some kind of fungus. I am aware that gemmae need higher humidity in order to 'gemmanate' but now they have developed a few petioles each is it time to reduce the humidity? Why has it only attacked certain gemmae which are growing in close proximity alongside one another?

Will fungicide harm these youg plants?

Thanks!
    'He who sees things from the beginning will have the finest view of them' Aristotle 384-322 AD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the gemmae may have been affected by the cold or something else, so they are dying while the others remain alive. I can't speak for the use of fungicides since I have never used them. Once the gemmae have sprouted there is little further need for high humidity. You might be able to control the fungi by light and regular misting with an increase in the air circulation as well. Good luck, and let me know if I can help you replace any losses.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a spoon and dig out a little patch of dirt surounding and including the infection. I had something like that last year with seedlings and it went rampent overnight and took out half of them >_< not that that always happens, but it may be worth sacrificing a few seedlings and some soil to get rid of it.

My Pygmi seem to like really wet conditions and as of last Sunday had an average of 7 leaflets each, but they are a different species from yours.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I recommend giving them more ventilation, and keep the light levels high with a short photoperiod. My pygmy structure is well ventilated, but I mist them 1x a day to keep them nice and moist. That seems to have paid off. I haven't noticed any fungus... so far.

-homer