What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too late for sowing?

Hello every one. Hope you made the best of your Holiday season. I have a qustion if i may about germination of winter growing Drosera (Australian Tuberous and South African). Is it too late to sow seeds of this specias this winter? It is allready the middle of winter and i know they need a period of Hot dry weather (Hot startification) for better results of germiantion. Do they really need it?
Any way i guss i can try a few now and a few in the next end of the summer.

Thanks in advance.

YtK

Sounds like you answerd your own question. I've had seeds sprout at all times of year... inclueding some that sprouted a year after I planted them o_O

You could try them, but I have never had any success in trying to get typical germination results from recently sown seed. Seed usually needs to sit through the summer before germinating in the fall, and this includes the easy species like D. peltata. You can always dry off the pots and allow nature to take it's course if you fail to get initial germination. Be aware that these tunerous species may take up to 3 years to germinate, so be patient.

Hi. Ok Thanks very much. I guss i can try to sow them now dry them in the summer if and if they dont germinate and then add some fresh seeds. Should you really dry them in the summer eaven when they dont germinate?

Thanks again

YtK

My experience is limited so I can't say much. I have noted that D. peltata self sows into my pots in the winter, but the seed will not germinate until the next fall when cold conditions set in. Such pots never dry out. Other growers have told me to dry the pot out completely, and to place it outside in sheltered conditions. Others recommend simply placing the seed in an enclosed transparent container and exposing it to sunlight and heat this way. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks you both. I hope i do well with them.

All the best

YtK

I had best results out of fresh D. auriculata and D. peltata during the whole year. It depends on the location they are coming from, I guess WA D. peltata will need a hot summer more than forms from the wetlands.

I had great success with one year old WA seeds I got from a friend. They all germinated very well after our historical hot summer this year in Germany...
smile.gif

Jan

Back