What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.dilatato-petiolaris blooming

Hello, my D.dilatato-petiolaris is finally going to bloom. Is it possible to obtain seed by self-pollinating the flowers?

Regards

Most of the Petiolaris species are self sterile if they are of the same clone. I would make the attempt if the plants were grown from seed: you might get lucky.

Congratulations on the flowering!

Thanks for the info Tamlin. I will wait for a second plant to start blooming then.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Don't forget though that in living things there are rarely any absolutes.

I am attempting to self-pollinate as well as cross-pollinate my own Drosera dilatatopetiolaris plants which I managed to grow 3 individuals to blooming size from seed. However, they shared only two occassions when they each had a flower open at the same time affording an easy attempt to cross-pollinate.

Perhaps none of the flowers I self-pollinated will set viable seed or maybe the few that were cross-pollinated. Perhaps some will set seed, perhaps not. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." I can almost be sure that if I had not made the attempt to pollinate them at all that there would be nearly zero chance of them producing any seed whatsoever. Now that I have self-pollinated most of these flowers, perhaps I will have eventually produced a few viable seed. Time and careful harvesting will tell.

Bottom line: Don't give up without a fight.

If I had listened to what was written in books about VFTs not being able to set viable seed from self-pollination I might not have been able to produce my own as early as I did (only had one plant at the time) and wouldn't have had the wonderful experience of germinating my own VFT seed and growing them to blooming size.</span>

Interesting thoughts PinguiculaMan, i will give it a try and let you know if i get somegthing.

If you do get seeds I hear that you can greatly increase germination by putting them in a paper bag,and place them in front of your heater in your house for a whole winter.:)

I mean paper ENVELOPE!
smile.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I have some seed received in trade from Tamlin, tentatively identified as Drosera dilatatopetiolaris. It was mixed with fine sand to facilitate sowing. Tamlin said its identification was uncertain. I planted some a few weeks ago, here they are now, looks like they might be the real thing:

d_dilatatopetiolaris_seed_from_tamlin_AA1.jpg

Photo of seed at 200X magnification:

d_dilatatopetiolaris_A.jpg
</span>

I am suspicious. Have reserved hope, but although the seedlings are too small to really tell, something strikes me as wrong. I thought seed I sowed of this batch came up as D. dielsiana and suggest you compare the seed testa to see how it compares with other D. dielsiana.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Below is a photo of one batch of Drosera dielsiana seed at 200X magnification. I will post photos of other D. dielsiana seed when I get the chance.

All the Drosera dielsiana seed I have photographed, so far, have a more or less pronounced spindle shape with the narrow end having a little sharp point.

d_dielsiana_TYPICAL_C.jpg
</span>

Back