What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii; how long

I took this photo of my burmannii green flowering on 12/31/03.  That is the middle of winter…75 highs/52 lows…even down here in Lauderdale.
Burmanni_flower.sized.jpg

The plant is barely the size of a quarter, has a flower stalk seven inches high and has seventeen buds, but still no seed.
-How long does it normally take for the seed to form?
-Do the burmannii buds turn black when the seed is ready to harvest?
My burmannii red and red x green have also developed flower stalks about two inches high.
-Is this mid-winter flowering due to the Southern hemisphere effect…or are all three very confused little plants?
They all seem to love the chilly weather.  I thought they came from the hot humid jungle areas of the world.
I am confused...but then...that is not all that unusual when it comes to my CPs.
rock.gif

Drosera burmannii grows in australia and surrounding regions. Typically, it grows as an annual, sprouting in the fall and completing its life cycle by spring, when it dies off. D. burmannii also grows as a perrenial, dying back to swelled roots during the dryer summer.

Either way, it is typical for D. burmannii to grow prolifically during the cooler winter. The flower buds will swell and eventually dry, though often the outside of the bud will appear green though the black seed has matured on the inside. Generally, the bud's will crack open somewhat to allow the seed to scatter.

Congratulations on the flower pic! It is rare to catch burmannii flowers open so wide and full! Keep it up!

-noah

P.S. "Barely the size of a quarter" is considered full size for this species.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info Noah, though I will be sorry to see it die.  I cut one of the pods that looked the most dried up and extracted three, what I think are seeds.  They are kinda oblong and a little larger than the period at the end of this sentence.
How long before I can plant them?
I have some 2.5" plastic containers and plan on 50/50 peat and perlite with a 1/4" top dressing of pure peat.  Will that work?
rock.gif

You can plant immediately. D. burmannii can take from as little as 2 weeks to 6 months to sprout though usually 3 to 6 weeks is the norm. Who sez CP have a norm? Just enjoy them, they may suprise you!

Back