User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drosera arcturi- Lake Mountain, Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When placing temperate species into the fridge for dormancy does fungus become a problem? Are there methods of stopping fungus from attacking the dormant plants? I know if I leave fresh fruit and vegetables in the fridge too long they'll rot and get attacked by moulds and fungi. Does the same sort of thing occur with live plants?

Sean.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I've just been gaping at your photos. They are all stunning! How incredible to see such a rare plant in such massive numbers. And the color! I can only imagine the feeling of seeing all that in person.

Thanks for sharing something most of us will never get to see. I agree...you should write a book and publish these photos. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] WOOOW!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sean,

I store gemmae of temperate Pinguicula in the fridge between moist sheets of paper and have never had any problems. I have also stored Sarrs and Dionaea in the fridge without any problems with rot or mold. If you do have problems with fungus etc. I suggest that you spray some fungicide on the plant and remove any dead leaves.
    Nice photos by the way.

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fresh fruit is not designed for a cold dormancy. Our plants/buds gemmae/seeds are. Put the plants/buds in clear plastic bags with wet sphagnum moss. You will have no rotting and you can see what happens inside. The sphagnum is acid and most fungi/bacteria that would like to eat your fresh fruit do not like that... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sean,

Drosera arcturi was long regarded as related closely to D. stenopetala and D. uniflora and D. regia was placed in another group of it's own, but Fernando's study of ribosomal DNA sequences showed D. regia and D. arcturi to be more basally clustered, showing close affinities between these species.

It's interesting considering the two are now found on separate continents.

I highly recommend Fernando's paper to you. There are some other surprises revealed by the study, like the close relationship of D. hamiltonii with D. adelae and D. indica:

See: "Phylogeny of the Sundews, Drosera (Droseraceae), Based on Chloroplast rbcL and Nuclear 18S Ribosomal DNA Sequences" by Fernando Rivadavia, Katsuhiko Konda, Masahiro Kondo and Mitsuyasu Hasbe: Americal Journal of Botany 90(1): 123-130 2003.

"Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sean great to see you got the pics loaded onto the net. They came out very well.

I have to say seeing Sean running around like a kid in a lolly shop was great sight to see. I had been to this exact site last summer and it was good to see the population seems to be stable and secure. The seed I looked at didn't seem to have formed properly, I am wondering if some frosts we have had could have stopped seed development. We timed the trip well as it rained on the way up and poured down just after we left, but had some beautiful sunshine while looking at the plants.

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remain awestruck, and have to say thanks again for this. I don't think I have been so affected since the early '80's when Phill stopped by with a couple of thousand slides of native Australian CP, leaving my with a permanently open mouth the condition of which has been strongly added to as a result of this magnificent post! Terra Forums is blessed by your presence and contributions, and you guys have my "CPer of the Year Award" firmly in your grasp.

When I get rich I am going to send you some cash to buy a good bottle of wine, you sure deserve it!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12