What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help With Sundews!

I was just wondering in what conditions do pygmy drosera thrive in?  Do they grow better in wetter conditions with lots of humidity or do they thrive on the dryer side?  Because I've been keeping them pretty damp and they just aren't growing too well for me...I've tried to do research on them to see what growing conditions they favor but haven't been able to find any reliable sources on Google.  Although one pot of gemmea that Tamlin sent me have been growing like crazy, and for some reason the surface of the soil always stays dry no matter how much I water them.  So do pygmy's like dryer conditions?  
Oh yeah another question, how come some sundews baisically deroot themselves sometimes?  It seems like they grow new roots and the roots actually pushes the plant out of the soil... Is this maybe due to the fact that the potting media that I'm using perlite and peat moss?  My theory to this is maybe because the perlite pieces are a little to big for the seedlings and block the passage way for the roots to grow, so there's only one way they can grow, and that is up...
So should I try a media of mixed peat and sand?

Wow, it's two in the morning...I should go to sleep now! Time flys after you've gone to a late night movie...
laugh.gif

Pygmies enjoy a varity of different growing conditions, but I have found that growing multiple species in a tub of water works best (especially on windowsills). I like to keep my pygmies in pots of 50/50 peat/sand, for that is their natural substrate in the wild (sandier, but whatever lol). Placing all the pots in a larghe tray of water insures a good level of humidity.

Plenty of sunlight is the way to go with these small drosera. THe more sun, the healthier and redder these plants will be.

good luck-Zach

Peter,

I have been growing Pygmies for some years with success using a mix of 1:1 milled sphagnum/quartz sand, full sun but most important, tall pots (20 cms), this plants have long roots and don´t like wet medium surface.

Regards,

Sebastian

Back